Page 1 of 3

Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:41 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
According to the comment at the bottom, Wood Green managed to field their strongest ever team yet in the London League in the fixture versus Cavendish, the team who are arguably their strongest rivals now (Drunken Knights seem to have fallen away a bit).

The match took place on 14 January 2016, and Wood Green had a grading average of 238 and nine GMs in the 12-board match (I wonder if the day will come with an all-GM team playing for Wood Green?). Cavendish only had two GMs and two IMs, and won 3.5-2.5 over the top six boards, though losing 4-8 overall.

http://www.londonchess.org.uk/match_car ... n=20152016

Rowson, Speelman and Emms were the GMs that lost for Wood Green.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:08 pm
by MartinCarpenter
Goodness, that really is scary :) Cavendish doing rather well to get 4-8 I think!

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:07 pm
by Stewart Reuben
And to think I didn't play for Cavendish. With me, they would probably have lost 3.5-9.5

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:05 pm
by David Sedgwick
Stewart Reuben wrote:And to think I didn't play for Cavendish. With me, they would probably have lost 3.5-9.5
How so? Would misconduct on your part have resulted in Wood Green being awarded an extra game point? :lol:

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:22 pm
by Stewart Reuben
No, our players would have been put off by the weakness of my play. Also, had I played, somebody else would have been displaced.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:56 am
by Mike Truran
Stewart

I think the point was that 3.5 + 9.5 doesn't = 12.

Mike

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:02 pm
by NickFaulks
Perhaps Stewart would have declared one of the games 1-1, wouldn't be the first time. Sorry, old story.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:13 pm
by NickFaulks
I was in the same room as that match, playing against Cavendish 3. I was very disappointed that my game was the last to finish ( by some distance, since our analogue clock had stopped during the game and it evidently took us a while to realise that ) so I missed the opportunity to spectate at this feast of chess.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:27 pm
by Stewart Reuben
Oops. I was thinking inflation in chess was so rampant that 13 game points was the normal number for a 12 board London League match.

I have often offered the opinion that, if the London League games were available on a website, the event would be even more popular than it is currently as its status would go up.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:54 pm
by Gavin Strachan
Well this result always made me crack up http://league.essexchess.org.uk/2006--2 ... h_212.html

Lawrence Trent playing a division 2 Essex League game on a Friday night down at Southend. Not too big a grading difference lol.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:28 pm
by Matthew Turner
I think Lawrence needs to test himself at a higher level. How about Div2 of the Somerset League?

http://sc.popmalc.org.uk/node/6549

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:41 pm
by Brian Towers
Matthew Turner wrote:I think Lawrence needs to test himself at a higher level. How about Div2 of the Somerset League?

http://sc.popmalc.org.uk/node/6549
Good to see Tim Wallis is still playing. We were team mates at Wells in the mid 80's. Give him my regards next time you see him.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:33 pm
by Gavin Strachan
Matthew Turner wrote:I think Lawrence
:? Yep looks a bit closer on the grading on that one.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:16 pm
by Andrew Bak
Matthew Webb featured in Division 3 of the Bradford League last season.

Re: Cavendish-Wood Green (14/01/2016)

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:25 am
by Kevin Thurlow
"Matthew Webb featured in Division 3 of the Bradford League last season."

Great team name as well!