Fund raising simul

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Fund raising simul

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:09 am

Gormally

Sunday 7 February, raising funds for Calderdale Flood Relief

A positive story for the ECF and chess press to spread to the wider public
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Andrew Bak

Re: Fund raising simul

Post by Andrew Bak » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:14 pm

One week to go before this simul.

If you're unable to attend, please consider contributing towards the Calderdale Flood Relief.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Wow, that is pretty heavy flooding - first I have heard of it, were any chess players affected?

Hope you raise a good amount to help rebuild the flood walls.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:14 pm

It got quite a lot of coverage when it happened, but then a lot of the North of the country got hit at once :(

I haven't asked anyone but there's a reasonably active Calderdale chess league and all of Hebden Bridge, Brighouse and Todmorden chess club have their venues next to the Calder and I can't imagine they avoided flooding. Hopefully minimal equipment loss. Calderdale in the Yorkshire league play out of Halifax so should be fine.

The towns do rise up the valley sides quite fast, so even with that 2700 figure for houses, the biggest problem is all the commercial properties down by the river. No fun at all :(

Not their first floods by any means. Its a really lovely corner of the world, but sadly rather prone to flooding. Narrowish, steep sided valley with even narrower/steeper feeder streams. Great for water powered mills back in the day! Its down in the gap in this photo.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:22 pm

if only they built the town at the top of the hill rather than the bottom... :roll:

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:43 pm

It'd be exposed to some awfully wild weather up on the tops! Not high in absolute terms but really quite exposed.

Definitely (as there often are I guess) questions about whether having all that building, and especially commercial property, down by the river is truly intelligent, but its all there now so it'd be very hard to fix :( Nothing that much they can really do by way of sane flood defences.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 pm

houses on stilts it is then!

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:02 pm

It makes me angry, these corrupt developers bribing planning officers to give them 'permission' to put large amounts of building into flood plains, taking their ill gotten gains and running off, and then leaving everyone else to foot the bill through increased insurance premiums.

There should really be a law to prosecute those involved with these processes - they have created a huge problem which will be ongoing for the rest of the time those buildings sit there.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Checking on wiki it actually looks quite interesting with Hebden bridge - way back when the valley had lots of marshes in it, the pack horse route did stick to the tops of the hills and so did the original settlement in the area. Something round the river too as it was a crossing point.

Then industrial revolution, valley drained, road stuck through it and lots of mills/workers cottages etc came in. I imagine those sorts of land use would have been basically very flood resistant. That, or of very minimal perceived value in the case of workers houses :(

Then all the industry ups and leaves and it all gets converted into shops/houses etc and you have a major problem. Definitely not as simple as plain broken planning (in this case anyway!).

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:14 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Wow, that is pretty heavy flooding - first I have heard of it, were any chess players affected?

Hope you raise a good amount to help rebuild the flood walls.
I'm not aware of any chess venues being affected, but I have no idea if any of the players have been caught up in it.

I know a couple of chess players local to the area the went to help down in the immediate aftermath, some people were hit really badly

Allan Hodgkinson

Post by Allan Hodgkinson » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:17 pm

I believe tonight's One Show, BBC 1, comes from Hebden Bridge.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:09 am

Interview with Dave Shapland on BBC Radio Leeds this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03gtg80#play

Starts at about 1hr 25 in.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Andy

How did the simul go?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Looks from the twitter feed on the Yorkshire chess site that Andy might have reason to be modest about it ;)

+14,=6,-3 and >700 pounds all sound like good going :)
(Definitely doesn't look like it was a remotely easy field for that size of simul.).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:08 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Looks from the twitter feed on the Yorkshire chess site that Andy might have reason to be modest about it ;)
I know, that's why I thought I would give him the chance :wink: