Official comment on quality of Candidates Broadcast
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:48 pm
Good evening everyone,
I am the Communications Director for Agon Ltd. I wanted to address some of the issues that members have been discussing on these forums.
Firstly, I completely understand the frustrations felt over the quality of the coverage on the WorldChess.com website.
If I may, can I tackle the technical issues first to do with connection speed, latency and inability to log into the website.
Yesterday the worldchess.com website was the victim of two denial of service attacks. These attacks involved the website being bombarded by fake traffic which resulted in the disruption of our servers which caused the technical issues which plagued the site yesterday.
Overnight we worked to address the technical issues that these attacks highlighted and took extra measures to protect against further attacks.
Today the worldchess.com website performed significantly better and we did not have a single justified technical complaint. At any given time over the course of today we had well over 100,000 chess fans from all over the world watching the live games without issue.
I also appreciate that there has been a number of negative comments about the game commentary on worldchess.com and about certain other aspects of the broadcast. We are taking on board all constructive criticism and we will be making changes over the next few rounds of the tournament to address many of the comments we have received. We will be the first to acknowledge that the broadcast has not been perfect and we are all working very hard to make it better! Today, for example, we had some great commentary from Vladimir Kramnik.
We do feel that some of the negative comments received on social media platforms have been made by a small number of individuals directly connected to chess websites that are no longer legally allowed to offer the live broadcasting of the moves in the Candidates.
There is obviously a genuine and heartfelt debate to be had about Agon's decision to restrict the live broadcasting of the moves and I am happy to contribute to that debate at the appropriate time and place.
But for now, I just wanted to clarify the events of yesterday concerning the WorldChess website. There is a press release on the Agon Limited website which provides further detail about the denial of service attack: http://www.agonlimited.com/news/2016/3/ ... strictions
I am happy to answer any questions that you may have and I am reachable at [email protected]
I am the Communications Director for Agon Ltd. I wanted to address some of the issues that members have been discussing on these forums.
Firstly, I completely understand the frustrations felt over the quality of the coverage on the WorldChess.com website.
If I may, can I tackle the technical issues first to do with connection speed, latency and inability to log into the website.
Yesterday the worldchess.com website was the victim of two denial of service attacks. These attacks involved the website being bombarded by fake traffic which resulted in the disruption of our servers which caused the technical issues which plagued the site yesterday.
Overnight we worked to address the technical issues that these attacks highlighted and took extra measures to protect against further attacks.
Today the worldchess.com website performed significantly better and we did not have a single justified technical complaint. At any given time over the course of today we had well over 100,000 chess fans from all over the world watching the live games without issue.
I also appreciate that there has been a number of negative comments about the game commentary on worldchess.com and about certain other aspects of the broadcast. We are taking on board all constructive criticism and we will be making changes over the next few rounds of the tournament to address many of the comments we have received. We will be the first to acknowledge that the broadcast has not been perfect and we are all working very hard to make it better! Today, for example, we had some great commentary from Vladimir Kramnik.
We do feel that some of the negative comments received on social media platforms have been made by a small number of individuals directly connected to chess websites that are no longer legally allowed to offer the live broadcasting of the moves in the Candidates.
There is obviously a genuine and heartfelt debate to be had about Agon's decision to restrict the live broadcasting of the moves and I am happy to contribute to that debate at the appropriate time and place.
But for now, I just wanted to clarify the events of yesterday concerning the WorldChess website. There is a press release on the Agon Limited website which provides further detail about the denial of service attack: http://www.agonlimited.com/news/2016/3/ ... strictions
I am happy to answer any questions that you may have and I am reachable at [email protected]