The Streatham & Brixton Chess Blog

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Martin Regan

Re: The Streatham & Brixton Chess Blog

Post by Martin Regan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:07 pm

The blog that always demanded explaination and transparancy. Goes out without either.
Why am I not surprised.
Though sorry to see it go.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Today's Times chess column could have been written as a celebration of the demise of the S&B blog: ignoring the Candidates match in favour of a main course of another re-run for GK v Deep Blue a quarter of a century ago, with a side order of the columnist's own proclaimed role in setting it up, and a mention for Tony Buzan because... oh something to do with draughts.

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:39 am

Martin Regan wrote:The blog that always demanded explaination and transparancy. Goes out without either.
Why am I not surprised.
Though sorry to see it go.
Ouch. That is not entirely fair. Blogs come and blogs go. I've never seen a blog blog about their demise but they did.
Chess is a conversation. At Chess Club Live everyone can join that conversation whatever your elo rating. :D
http://social.chessclublive.com

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:47 am

PeterFarr wrote:Today's Times chess column could have been written as a celebration of the demise of the S&B blog: ignoring the Candidates match in favour of a main course of another re-run for GK v Deep Blue a quarter of a century ago, with a side order of the columnist's own proclaimed role in setting it up, and a mention for Tony Buzan because... oh something to do with draughts.
I am not a chess columnist in a daily newspaper and probably never will be. I have huge amount of respect for what they do but it appears there are levels of quality of a columnist.

1. The data dump chess columnist. They print a pgn and say a few words before and after. Short on facts

2. In their own little world chess columnist. Painfully they print nothing about what is going on in chess at that moment

3. The perfect chess columnist. Relevant, objective, beautiful commentary on recent games. perfection. Like the Barden, an ancient Celtic order of minstrel poets.

4. The historian columnist. Keen on printing old games from the distant past.

I suppose what I've written above could be a post on the Streatham & Brixton Chess Blog itself. Maybe I missed a calling.
Chess is a conversation. At Chess Club Live everyone can join that conversation whatever your elo rating. :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:57 am

Michael Mkpadi wrote:it appears there are levels of quality of a columnist.
You missed out the object of ire of the S&B's blog, namely the columnist whose works are an endless series of mostly repeated material.

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:13 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Michael Mkpadi wrote:it appears there are levels of quality of a columnist.
You missed out the object of ire of the S&B's blog, namely the columnist whose works are an endless series of mostly repeated material.
look closer I think you'll find I haven't ;)

Steve Crockett

Post by Steve Crockett » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:22 pm

I welcome this excellent news that karma has finally caught up with this vile rag for some of the nasty, slanderous nonsense they've posted very unfairly about people over the years. There were some decent authors there and some decent content but certain authors have also said some extremely rude, vindictive and unfair things about many people in the chess world, myself included purely to pursue their own selfish vendettas. Now the toxic blog is gone, all we need is Carl Hibbard and the other moderators of this ec'forum' to follow their own policies and not allow slanderous lies and unproven allegations to be posted on here unmoderated - If they'd do their jobs propoerly to get rid of the often toxic atmosphere on here and focus the discussions on chess in a more positive,fair and non judgemental way then there probably wouldn't be such a need for the ECF to have their own official forum either.

Steve Crockett

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 am

.. and here we have an example of the new positive non-toxic air focussing on discussions in a fair and non judgemental way.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:48 am

as mentioned elsewhere, one of the "group" has gone solo.

http://lostontime.blogspot.co.uk/

The first post is about whether interviewers should have pressed Nakamura (and Aronian) for comment about the touch and move incident.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:10 am

Michael Farthing wrote:.. and here we have an example of the new positive non-toxic air focussing on discussions in a fair and non judgemental way.
:lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Steve Crockett

Post by Steve Crockett » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:23 pm

lol fair comment

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 pm

Steve Crockett wrote:I welcome this excellent news that karma has finally caught up with this vile rag for some of the nasty, slanderous nonsense they've posted very unfairly about people over the years. There were some decent authors there and some decent content but certain authors have also said some extremely rude, vindictive and unfair things about many people in the chess world, myself included purely to pursue their own selfish vendettas. Now the toxic blog is gone, all we need is Carl Hibbard and the other moderators of this ec'forum' to follow their own policies and not allow slanderous lies and unproven allegations to be posted on here unmoderated - If they'd do their jobs propoerly to get rid of the often toxic atmosphere on here and focus the discussions on chess in a more positive,fair and non judgemental way then there probably wouldn't be such a need for the ECF to have their own official forum either.

Steve Crockett
:mrgreen:
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Well that was illuminating Justin. Care to expand?

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:as mentioned elsewhere, one of the "group" has gone solo.

http://lostontime.blogspot.co.uk/

The first post is about whether interviewers should have pressed Nakamura (and Aronian) for comment about the touch and move incident.
Yes, a rather sad, spiteful, point-missing piece which confirms some of the points made by Mr Crockett above.

Nakamura touched a piece, had to move it (after the arbiter got involved), lost the game, is now psychologically damaged for this tournament (no, I don't like him). Now move on and concentrate on the chess which is what the vast majority of the fans want. Leave the "How does it feel?" crap and brainless "Why did you do it?" nonsense for the tabloid press. At least Nakamura will recover quickly from the psychological damage and not insist on reliving the past over and over again.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Well that was illuminating Justin. Care to expand?
Justin feels that Mr Crockett's post shows him in a bad light and, bizarre as this may sound, Justin in a good light (his baiting has generated a response). He wants his victory preserved. In particular he does not want Mr Crockett to edit his post to make it more benign thereby removing evidence of Justin's "victory".
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.