French Chess President Impeached

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
harrylamb

French Chess President Impeached

Post by harrylamb » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:58 am

The General Assembly of the French Chess Federation held on 26th March voted to remove Diego Salazar from the post of the President.

First the President’s report was rejected with 635 votes against, 290 for and 57 abstentions. The financial report was rejected with similar majority 656 against, 173 for, 185 abstentions.

After the break for consultations, the Assembly voted the impeachment of President Salazar with big majority: 623 in favor, 92 abstentions, 303 against. An early election will be held in September 2016.

Diego Salazar was elected into office in April 2013.

Report compiled from various sources
No taxation without representation

JustinHorton

Re: French Chess President Impeached

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Always give your source
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Is being impeached the same as losing to "none of the above", just French?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm guessing it's not and that it involves the removal of an incumbent from office before the normal term of that office has expired.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:08 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Always give your source
Hmm I thought journalists went to jail rather than reveal their sources.

I did say "Report compiled from various sources"
My prime source was the President of a French Regional Chess Federation. I then looked on the internet for comments. Found several. The one I published was brief precise and gave the info I wanted. Which being lazy I edited and cut and pasted

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Better source here but in French. It appears the President has taken the FFE from a small surplus in 2014 (€1700) to a colossal deficit in 2015 (€170,000). So he's been overthrown ad nutum, a new term for me, which loosely translates as 'nuts severed with immediate effect'
Last edited by David Robertson on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:16 pm

David Robertson wrote:So he's been overthrown ad nutum, a new term for me, which loosely translates as 'nuts severed with immediate effect'
Seems like rather a drastic solution to the shortage of French countertenors.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:18 pm

It also says that the total deficit is about €400k, accumulated not just this year, by failing to provide for liabilities such as pensions for employees. The loss this year on the French adult championship was nearly €50k.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:09 pm

JustinHorton wrote:I'm guessing it's not and that it involves the removal of an incumbent from office before the normal term of that office has expired.
I suppose it's slightly more like the removal of Andrew Paulson than the removal of Phil Ehr, although was decided only by the Directors. If the ECF Council meeting approves three year terms, the "none of the above" method will no longer be available two years out of three.

The French Federation has always given the impression of being well-funded with their National Championships and supporting events being a bigger and grander affair than the British Championship Congress.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The French Federation has always given the impression of being well-funded with their National Championships and supporting events being a bigger and grander affair than the British Championship Congress.
Any idiot can run things at a loss, as is frequently shown at Gigg Lane - the skill is putting on events that make a profit or at least break even
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I suppose it's slightly more like the removal of Andrew Paulson than the removal of Phil Ehr, although was decided only by the Directors. If the ECF Council meeting approves three year terms, the "none of the above" method will no longer be available two years out of three.
Their President was elected on a multi-year ticket quite recently. I get the impression that in France, they didn't actually vote None of the Above in an annual election. There was a proactive motion from the clubs to get rid of the President mid-term. So whilst what you said is true - the NotA option isn't there - it isn't correct to use that as an analogy to the French situation. Hence the source commenting that they would be having early elections.
Mick Norris wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:The French Federation has always given the impression of being well-funded with their National Championships and supporting events being a bigger and grander affair than the British Championship Congress.
Any idiot can run things at a loss, as is frequently shown at Gigg Lane - the skill is putting on events that make a profit or at least break even
They've always been heavily supported financially by BNP Paribas, and I gather that part of their financial problems are caused by losing some of that money.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:15 pm

The official FFE statement, in French of course, is at http://www.echecs.asso.fr/Actu.aspx?Ref=9509.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:19 pm

harrylamb wrote:The General Assembly of the French Chess Federation held on 26th March voted to remove Diego Salazar from the post of the President.

First the President’s report was rejected with 635 votes against, 290 for and 57 abstentions. The financial report was rejected with similar majority 656 against, 173 for, 185 abstentions.

After the break for consultations, the Assembly voted the impeachment of President Salazar with big majority: 623 in favor, 92 abstentions, 303 against. An early election will be held in September 2016.

Diego Salazar was elected into office in April 2013.

Report compiled from various sources
Just out of curiosity, who gets to vote at these meetings?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:34 pm

benedgell wrote: Just out of curiosity, who gets to vote at these meetings?
The French organisational structure is heavily club based, so much so that if a French resident, you aren't allowed to play in tournaments unless "licensed" at least notionally by a club. Thus it was representatives of clubs who turned up with votes and booted out the President.

It looks as if, like the ECF a few years ago, the FFE is likely to be short of money because of loss of sponsorship. The losing President seemed to be explaining this year's loss as being partly due to restructuring, presumably to cut base costs in the future by paying less in office expenses. Perhaps he should have informed his electorate this time last year if that was his intent. One of his other problems seems that he was only covering around 20% of the expenses of the National Championships out of entry fees and the anticipated sponsorship failed to materialise.

Google Translate is only a limited help in translating the documents, since a knowledge of French accounting terms appears necessary. I didn't really figure out whether the FFE has sufficient reserves to live out the problems of a one year loss of tens or hundreds of thousands of Euros, or whether it is now teetering on the edge of insolvency.

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:40 pm

benedgell wrote:Just out of curiosity, who gets to vote at these meetings?
It is interesting to compare the voting rights at the ECF AGM with the FFE AGM. I think only clubs have voting rights at the French AGM. At the ECF AGM clubs are not allowed to vote.

But the proxy situation seems similar at both AGM.
FFE website wrote:The General Meeting... brought together 66 delegates representing 42.5% of the clubs of our federation and 51.5% of the vote"
On one of the votes these 66 delegates cast 1019 votes :roll: