Online Grading Database

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Hibbard

Online Grading Database

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 10, 2007 11:18 am

Over the next few weeks I will be making some minor changes to the Online Grading Database in time for publication of the new grades, now is your chance to request amendments to the software or pass comments on things you don't like etc.

Or indeed tell us how good it is...

Cheers
Carl

Gavin Strachan

On Line database

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu May 10, 2007 11:35 pm

The database sometimes lists people who long since haven't played for a particular club. A former member of our club who has played for another club for 2/3 years now still comes up on our list.

Carl Hibbard

Re: On Line database

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri May 11, 2007 7:19 am

Gavin Strachan wrote:The database sometimes lists people who long since haven't played for a particular club. A former member of our club who has played for another club for 2/3 years now still comes up on our list.
In that sort of instance you need to contact the Grading Database Manager either via the contact form on the site or using the published email address and they can make the correction for you

More a question of commuication that one!

Cheers
Carl

Dean Madden

Post by Dean Madden » Sat May 12, 2007 8:19 am

Hi, I was just wondering when the grading list will be available, I've never held a grade so am eagerly anticipating it :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat May 12, 2007 8:49 am

Dean Madden wrote:Hi, I was just wondering when the grading list will be available, I've never held a grade so am eagerly anticipating it :)
In time for the British, probably towards late July but that is a guess!

Cheers
Carl

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Sat May 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Dean Madden wrote:
The database sometimes lists people who long since haven't played for a particular club. A former member of our club who has played for another club for 2/3 years now still comes up on our list.
What the database shows is the clubs that someone played for during the period that the grade was calculated. Where there are less than 30 games, grades are calculated by incorporating two previous seasons results. In such cases, the clubs from those previous seasons will also be shown.
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Sun May 13, 2007 2:11 am

What the database shows is the clubs that someone played for during the period that the grade was calculated. Where there are less than 30 games, grades are calculated by incorporating two previous seasons results. In such cases, the clubs from those previous seasons will also be shown.
Actually, the clubs shown are those that have logged for the player since a given date irrespective of number of games played. At the moment this date is 01/06/2003 and should probably be changed to something more recent.

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Sun May 13, 2007 3:14 pm

Howard wrote:
Actually, the clubs shown are those that have logged for the player since a given date irrespective of number of games played. At the moment this date is 01/06/2003 and should probably be changed to something more recent.
OK, I'll move it on a year. But there's more to the problem. If you leave your club tomorrow, congress organisers can still be putting it by your name for grading purposes two or three years from now. Presumably they're taking it from the grading list. Lapsed clubs have been known to live on for years in this way. All you can do is ask the Grading Administrator (me) to remove the offending club.

Richard

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 am

Richard Haddrell wrote:All you can do is ask the Grading Administrator (me) to remove the offending club.
Is it also possible to remove a "club" from a player? Is this done automatically over time or even at all?
I can include notes in the grading submission if I think it'll make a difference.
I haven't played for a particular club for over 4 years but I still appear as a member of that club and they still appear next to my name...
I did mention it last year when I submitted the grading for Hillingdon Borough Chess League.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Mon May 14, 2007 1:34 pm

Greg Breed wrote:Is it also possible to remove a "club" from a player? Is this done automatically over time or even at all?
Your club list is made up of the clubs that graders have recorded next to your name in the last 2-3 years when they send in your results.
I can include notes in the grading submission if I think it'll make a difference.
There's no point in doing this as comments in grading files are not looked at. Include it in an e-mail to Richard - [email protected]
I haven't played for a particular club for over 4 years but I still appear as a member of that club and they still appear next to my name...
Pinner was given as your club when you played in a Barnet Knights Rapidplay in September 2003. This would have dropped off your club list in any case come July, but as from now events more than three years old will not be used to compile your club list.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Wed May 16, 2007 8:31 am

Ah, well that would explain it then. Many thanks Howard.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)