Page 1 of 1
LCC
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:44 pm
by Carl Gorka
Living in Australia, I'm out of the loop a bit. So I only just noticed the field for the London Classic.
Can someone explain why the London Classic is part of the GCT and therefore no English player is competing in the top section? Is this considered a good thing for English chess?
I apologise if this has been discussed before, just send me to the thread....
Thanks

Re: LCC
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:51 pm
by LawrenceCooper
We know nine of the players from here:
http://grandchesstour.org/participants but the tenth player for London has yet to be announced. I hope that it will be an English player.
Re: LCC
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:55 pm
by Carl Gorka
Thanks Lawrence, I hope so too.
Re: LCC
Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:16 pm
by Tim Harding
Last year Michael Adams was given the wild card. It is likely he will be offered it again though maybe David Howell will be considered too.
Or maybe somebody would like to sponsor a qualifying event among the six English players currently rated over 2650?
Re: LCC
Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:05 am
by Roger de Coverly
Tim Harding wrote:
Or maybe somebody would like to sponsor a qualifying event among the six English players currently rated over 2650?
At a guess, there might be a repeat of the knockout "British" event that saw David Howell defeat Nick Pert, only this time with enough time in advance to enable the winner to prepare to play in the London Classic.