What can be done?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

What can be done?

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Hello.
I planned to hold a rated tournament with standard time control, but the chess association of my province (Fars) has objected to a rated event, stating that it is my first organization of an event and "if something goes wrong, 'they' will create problems", not answering who is "they" and what can possibly go wrong when all will be done by either the arniter or the Association.
What can I do here? An unrated event won't b of much help

Andrew Bak

Re: What can be done?

Post by Andrew Bak » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Find someone who's ran tournaments before and get them on board.

Wouldn't you need arbiters with certain qualifications anyway before they'll FIDE rate it?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:24 pm

I talked to the head of arbiters committee of my province. She said there is no problem.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:30 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hello.
I planned to hold a rated tournament with standard time control, but the chess association of my province (Fars) has objected to a rated event, stating that it is my first organization of an event and "if something goes wrong, 'they' will create problems", not answering who is "they" and what can possibly go wrong when all will be done by either the arniter or the Association.
What can I do here? An unrated event won't b of much help
Your Association most likely are referring to the players as 'they'. It has been reported on this forum that some players might even withhold their entry fee until they've won their first game!

Crossing the line from being a competitor to an organiser throws up all sorts of challenges and it pays to have experienced people on the team who can keep things running smoothly.

A new event can take time to become established as many players will not enter a tournament unless that the organisers have a good track record in running events. If you were a competitor yourself what would entice you to play?

The organiser also carries the financial risk should the event not attract sufficient entries.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:42 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I talked to the head of arbiters committee of my province. She said there is no problem.
Is she willing to allow her name to be used as the Licenced Arbiter for the tournament? If so, your federation should not refuse to register the event unless they have a problem with her, or with your province.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:31 pm

The national federation refised to do so when I said the pronincial association refused todo so.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:48 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:The national federation refised to do so when I said the pronincial association refused todo so.
Well, you or your co-organiser should go back to your Provincial Association and establish what requirements you need to satisfy to get your tournament registered.

I would suggest that you need to firm up on details such as number of rounds and other information potential entrants would need. Having satisfied the requirements of your Provincial Association, I'm sure that the National Association would drop any objections.

One of the key skills of an organiser is knowing how to go about these things and getting the agreement of the relevant authorities. Working with another person familiar with the system should help you to overcome these bureaucratic obstacles.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:58 pm

When they answered this way, it meant "You cannot organized a FIDE-rated event"