Page 1 of 1

Tactics puzzles on Chess.com

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 am
by JustinHorton
Over the last couple of months, to keep my eye in, I've been doing the daily tactics puzzles (not to be confused with the "daily puzzle") on Chess.com. You can do five a day without being a paying member (and presumably rather more if you join).

Anyway I do them both on my Smartphone, using the Chess.com app, and on a laptop, using their website. And I get the curious impression that if I use the laptop, the number of points I get awarded for getting a puzzle right is greater than if I am using my smartphone. On the app, I often get just a single point for the correct answer: on the laptop, rarely or never.

Not that it matters how many points you get, But it's odd nonetheless. Has anybody else had this experience?

Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:24 pm
by Joey Stewart
It wouldn't surprise me at all, chess sites are relatively late to the world of smartphones and many of their "apps" leave much to be desired.

I havent played on chess.com for a while now - last time I was there the ratings had gone all crazy (presumably to keep better in line with real fide ones)

Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:14 pm
by MJMcCready
I'm not sure its just related to chess.com. The daily puzzles on chess24.com and their supposed rating values are bizarre to say the least as there appears to be little correlation between the value attached to them and their difficulty.

Perhaps someone could suggest a good place to go for daily puzzles?

Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:30 pm
by Leonard Barden
MJMcCready wrote:
Perhaps someone could suggest a good place to go for daily puzzles?

Three months supply here:

http://www.standard.co.uk/staticpage/ch ... 39236.html

Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:14 pm
by Dave Ewart
The chess.com puzzle ratings are not _set_ anywhere, they drift up and down (in the same way as players grades) based on how well and how quickly people solve them. Don't know the exact means of calculation.

I use chess.com on PC and smartphone: I *think* I've seen a similar thing to you too, for what it's worth! Always possible that I solve them more quickly when I see a big screen, though, I suppose.

Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 pm
by Paul Dargan
Or it might be a latency issue doing it over 3G rather than a home broadband connection ... you may get 'charged' for time from when it thinks it sent you the position to when it receives the answer ... this could be different from when you see the position and move the pieces

Paul

Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:21 pm
by JustinHorton
Mmmm, maybe, but I don't notice any difference using my smartphone away from home on 3G or at home on our WiFi.