Bishop pair verse Knight pair

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Bishop pair verse Knight pair

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:50 pm

PeterFarr wrote:I think it was in Mihai Suba's book "Dynamic Chess Strategy" that he gave a quip about Knights being stronger on the edge of the board because they don't waste so much of their energy on too many squares.
Sounds like another of his, "bad bishops defend good pawns". Not entirely convinced by either.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:41 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote: Which is the same for having the two Bishops in any line up v Bishop and Knight.
I can recall a GM observation that the player with the Bishops should not be in any serious danger of losing. The point being the threat to force an ending with Bishops of opposite colours.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:01 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Geoff Chandler wrote: Which is the same for having the two Bishops in any line up v Bishop and Knight.
I can recall a GM observation that the player with the Bishops should not be in any serious danger of losing. The point being the threat to force an ending with Bishops of opposite colours.
It is usually much easier to play Bishop takes Knight, than Knight takes Bishop. This means the side with the two Bishops is usually the side to decide when or if the game should be simplified.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:08 am

any more good stories?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:35 am

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:08 am
any more good stories?
I've got a couple which I'll talk about at a later date.
The bishop pair versus knight pair does depend on the position.