Knights facing forwards.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Knights facing forwards.

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:38 pm

"Chequers was a Cafe in North London, the (now deceased) owner of which had some fights with the BCF and other parts of the chess establishment. It wasn't just controversial for printing Knights the wrong way round.

From memory there was a Short v Kasparov 6 game rapid play match in the later 1980s which was made for television (Thames), the game scores of which were attempted to be published by Chequers Chess when there was an embargo on publication before the broadcast.

Also there was an international tournament "Chess for Peace" for which flyers were issued at the preceding Lloyds Bank tournament threatening that the BCF wouldn't rate it.

No first hand knowledge, but all night Blitz tournaments also took place. Were there accusations of promised prize money not being paid?"

I played in Chess For Peace - the first round was chaotic as loads of alleged entrants didn't turn up. There were supposed to be huge numbers of world class players, but it didn't work out like that. However I did play someone from Israel and someone from Palestine Liberation Organization (they weren't the same person obviously). I assume they didn't play each other either...

I did ask Ray to autograph a Chequers book he wrote, and he complained that Mr Amin had only paid him half the agreed fee, so he would only give me half a signature, therefore he signed it, "Best wishes, Ray".

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:51 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:12 pm
Personally a poorly uniformed row of pawns on different parts of the squares used to bother me more than anything else.
Before lockdown, at the start of a game I had a routine.
1.Make sure my knights are facing forward.
2. Make sure all the pawns are the same size and in the middle of each square.
3. I then did some gardening by removing hairs and crumbs from the chessboard.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Hilary Thomas owes me a subscription refund for Tournament Chess for which I received two issues.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm

"Hilary Thomas owes me a subscription refund for Tournament Chess for which I received two issues."

I was going to make a frivolous response, but thought better of it.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/rapist ... d-14035185

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm
And so say all of us. He actually had the nerve to turn up one evening at the Kings Head looking for sympathy. If he was hoping for an offer of a drink, he didn't get it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:22 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:18 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm
And so say all of us. He actually had the nerve to turn up one evening at the Kings Head looking for sympathy. If he was hoping for an offer of a drink, he didn't get it.
Was HT on Interpols Most Wanted list at the time he turned up or that earlier ?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:01 pm

I recently found out that before the start of a game when white the GM Alexander Fishbein
faces his Knights inwards to look at each other. When Black both Knights face right.
(he has been asked why he does this but says he does not know.)

Knights facing left is normal in diagrams and online.
Maybe online sites should give you a choice of knights facing left or right. (or do they, I always play with the default set.)

When knights do not face left in diagrams it looks very strange. (to me anyway.)
see my previous post; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8565&hilit=Knights+ ... 15#p224763

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:30 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:01 pm
When knights do not face left in diagrams it looks very strange. (to me anyway.)
I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything.

I suspect I would notice a knight the wrong way round in figurine algebraic notation though, because that would look odd.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:40 pm

i face my knights at a envelope of 1 million pounds like most prince of wales do

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:41 pm

if you google original prince of wales you will get gryddith ap llewellyn my namesake to explain

Kirk Gornall

Post by Kirk Gornall » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:25 pm

At the start of a game, I usually adjust both knights to face from left to right. I keep them facing that way during the game. I have always done that since I was young, and am not sure why. It would be interesting to conduct a survey on how players prefer to have each knight facing at the start of their games. It's just another idiosyncrasy I suppose, similar to how players move/capture pieces, and how they press the clock.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:29 pm

If you want to know why you do this, it is because you have played a lot online and have subconsciously picked up the arrangement of Knights In that unusual way as it mirrors what you have seen before.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Kirk Gornall

Post by Kirk Gornall » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:35 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:29 pm
If you want to know why you do this, it is because you have played a lot online and have subconsciously picked up the arrangement of Knights In that unusual way as it mirrors what you have seen before.
Yes that is certainly possible, although I was doing this back in the early 90s, before I played online chess. I thought it might be connected to the diagrams in chess books, but the knights are facing from right to left in most the books I have read. It's just one of those things that cannot be explained!

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:24 pm

I always face mine towards the Queenside, regardless of what colour I am. If my opponent hasn't yet arrived, then I point theirs the same way, but it doesn't bother me if they subsequently realign them.