Strongest chess-playing politicians?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Strongest chess-playing politicians?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Is Dana Reizniece-Ozola (Wikipedia article) the strongest current chess-playing politician (WGM and rated 2243 - peak rating of 2355 in 1999)? I was surprised to find that the Minister of Finance of the Republic of Latvia was able to take the time to play at the Chess Olympiad, but she got an excellent result in the final round, beating Hou Yifan.

(Found here: Kavelek's chess column.)
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joshua Gibbs

Re: Strongest chess politician?

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:38 pm

Well many would call Garry Kasparov a politician....
If you mean actively emplyed in politics then probably Dana yes.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is Dana Reizniece-Ozola the strongest current chess-playing politician (WGM and rated 2243 - peak rating of 2355 in 1999)?
She is about 100 points above this UKIP MEP
https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=408077
who is thought to be highest rated UK MP or MEP.

There's a thread about this every time there's an election.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks. That would be stronger than Bonar Law and Rutherford, but is Marmaduke Wyvill still the strongest ever?

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/bonarlaw.html

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: There's a thread about this every time there's an election.
I see: http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... ill#p27957

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:...is Marmaduke Wyvill still the strongest ever?
In terms of actual playing strength, no. In terms of how far behind the then world #1 he was, probably yes.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Strongest chess-playing politicians?

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:18 pm

As mentioned when an Angela Eagle leadership candidacy for Labour seemed possible, there is also the late Julius Silverman.

(apparently a good friend with B H Wood of CHESS fame - even though their politics, by all accounts, somewhat differed)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:53 pm

Jack Rudd and Chris Kreuzer have given judgement about UK MPs but what about the Bonar Law question: was he the strongest chess player who also became UK PM? Perhaps Peter Hennessy might know??

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:06 pm

IanCalvert wrote:was he the strongest chess player who also became UK PM?
In the sense of playing at a level sufficient for his games to be collected and published, surely the only player?

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but Lembit Opik (LibDem - also associated with Sian the weather girl and one of the cheeky girls) certainly played while he was at P&G in Gosforth - I guess late 80's or early 90's. I know he turned out for my father's team in the local league. Probably 120-ish but may have been stronger in his youth

Paul

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is Dana Reizniece-Ozola (Wikipedia article) the strongest current chess-playing politician (WGM and rated 2243 - peak rating of 2355 in 1999)? I was surprised to find that the Minister of Finance of the Republic of Latvia was able to take the time to play at the Chess Olympiad, but she got an excellent result in the final round, beating Hou Yifan.

(Found here: Kavelek's chess column.)
The strongest chessplaying politician in the world at the moment is not Dana Reizniece, despite her giant-killing success against Hou Yifan.

It is Viktorija Cmilyte, member of the Lithuanian parliament, currently rated 2536, twice Lithuanian champion against men, holder of the GM title at men's level, currently No2 in the Lithuanian rankings behind Rozentalis, ex-wife of Alexei Shirov, current wife of Magnus Carlsen's second Peter Heine Nielsen, mother of three sons, women's Olympiad board one gold medallist in 2000 and 2004, and a volleyball player in her youth. How does she manage it all?
Last edited by Leonard Barden on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:20 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:How does she manage it all?
She does'nt get man-flu

Alan Jelfs

Post by Alan Jelfs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Alan Reid, Lib-Dem MP for Argyll and Bute from 2001-2015 represented Scotland at the 1978 Olympiad.
He came second in the 1979 Scottish Championship, and in the 1980 Scottish championship he is listed with a Scottish Chess grading of 2255.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 pm

I seem to recall that Brian Walden (Lab) was quite useful. I remember him speaking at the Karpov simul in 1977.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Didn't know about Rutherford.- new one to me.There will be late and strong Victorian ones

I will try a list without him for British Lords, PMs, Mps etc.
Wyvill - highly rated by Staunton - lost the 1851 International final to Anderssen
Julius Silverman - beating Paul Keres when he was one of the best players in the world.
Alan Reid - International
Bonar Law (PM) - "over 200" -- behind Westminster 1922 made the opening move on JR Capa's board v R Reti - the "London system"was born.
Arnott (MEP)
I would place Marsha Singh, (only saw him outplayed by A J Mestel) above Warwicks junior champion Brain Walden
I dont know the strength of William Clough Bradford c.c (MP for Skipton) who beat Capablanca in a simul.
Then further down Angela and Maria Eagle etc
Middlesborough had a chess playing MP that Gerry Walsh knew.