Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:57 pm

A super slow Saturday, by that I mean no noted activity on the General chat forum has been observed today so far, I wondered if there are any pictures involving elite players which have been photobombed. After preliminary investigations, I can't find any. Is my assumption that the the endlessly photographed GMs of our time have a few less than complimentary pics languishing someone which they would rather not be reminded of or am I barking up the wrong tree>

Roger Lancaster
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:01 pm

As to today's silence I'm all in favour, if forum contributors have nothing worthwhile to say, of their not saying it. Please keep it up.

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1968
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:06 pm

I concur with Roger.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:24 am

Well this is a forum and opinions are welcomed irrepective of their alleged suitability (within reason). Perhaps you're right the corpus of threads, which are quite predictable are at odds with those, submitted being quirker than what we are accustomed to, however, being perceived as off the wall or otherwise isn't necessary a critism, as chess has acquiesced into the media gracefully, but as a photographer myself, some of us are more curious to see the top players caught off guard as well as on camera. The clasic example was seeing Kasparov's reaction to a flying dildo (or whatever it was) interrupt one of his meetings. Agreed its titillation but given how conservative chess is on the whole, it is interesting to what reactions occur under such circumstances. Apart from anything else, some remain true gentlemen, others suggest that away from the board they are less mature.

Compared to some topics posted its not so bad, especially if you saw the photobomb at the Tal memorial which GM Danny King handled with consulate ease when a group of Wesley So admires asked for his interview whilst live on air as he was discussing his game. It was high in entertainment value given that bubbly admirers were intent on remaining on camera whilst attending to their hair and make up countless positional motives. We are of course free to think what we wish and post what we wish as well as reject prescriptive assertions concerning the very nature of a forum and what it should and should not contain since that is very much against the spirit of the forum itself unless moderators deem otherwise.

The forum aside there are numerous sites which specialize on such material, however, they have an uncanny ability to realize chess isn't entirely devoid of humour.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:16 am

Those chess players you believe the odd smile or are capable or seeing chess the occasion prank as being something other than a false antithesis and may have seen an amusing clip or two are welcome to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_LvYS3bUA

Can this be topped?
Last edited by MJMcCready on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Lancaster
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:20 am

Yes, quite amusing if one enjoys that sort of thing - although perhaps a shade juvenile.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:26 am

Well perhaps, I don't know. If you've looked at Troll Chess is stuff, some of that is very funny, so that determining his age seems irrelevant. I think it is juvenile in character but much can be learned from such pranks. Kasparov, seems confused then capable of dismissing it but I know of other who were more juvinile than the prank itself...although it wouldn't be fair to name names.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:30 am

MJMcCready wrote:Well perhaps, I don't know. If you've looked at Troll Chess's is stuff, some of that is very funny, so that determining his age seems irrelevant. I think it is juvenile in character but much can be learned from such pranks. Kasparov, seems confused then capable of dismissing it but I know of other who were more juvinile than the prank itself...although it wouldn't be fair to name names.

There is a grey areas too of course...perhaps more akin to gamesmanship. Nigel Short used to were frilly blouses to unsettle his opponent and in the earlier 90's a Spanish or Argentinian player(can't quite quiet remember) wore a pink shirt with a picture of Karpov on it while playing Kasparov whilst playing blitz against him, I'm sure that didn't go down well.

I think the moral is that the battle extends beyond the board....um, far beyond the board.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:41 am

MJMcCready wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:Well perhaps, I don't know. If you've looked at Troll Chess's is stuff, some of that is very funny, so that determining his age seems irrelevant. I think it is juvenile in character but much can be learned from such pranks. Kasparov, seems confused then capable of dismissing it but I know of other who were more juvinile than the prank itself...although it wouldn't be fair to name names.

There is a grey areas too of course...perhaps more akin to gamesmanship. Nigel Short used to wear frilly blouses to unsettle his opponent and in the late 80s and earlier 90's; a Spanish or Argentinian player(can't quite quiet remember) wore a pink shirt with a picture of Karpov on it while playing Kasparov whilst playing blitz against him, I'm sure that didn't go down well...unsurpsingly he got spattered with 25 moves or so.

I think the moral is that the battle extends beyond the board....um, far beyond the board.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:As to today's silence I'm all in favour, if forum contributors have nothing worthwhile to say, of their not saying it. Please keep it up.
Terribly cavalier Roger, it might not appeal to you but the other forum members? Aren't they a diverse bunch?

Paul Habershon
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:14 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Compared to some topics posted its not so bad, especially if you saw the photobomb at the Tal memorial which GM Danny King handled with consulate ease when a group of Wesley So admires asked for his interview whilst live on air as he was discussing his game.
I love 'consulate' ease. Perhaps this should be adopted as a new expression in praise of diplomacy.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:50 pm

MJMcCready wrote:Those chess players who believe the odd smile or are capable or seeing chess and the occasion prank as being something other than a false antithesis having seen an amusing clip or two are welcome to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_LvYS3bUA

Can this be topped?

Brian Towers
Posts: 1255
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:30 pm

MJMcCready wrote:Those chess players you believe the odd smile or are capable or seeing chess the occasion prank as being something other than a false antithesis and may have seen an amusing clip or two are welcome to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_LvYS3bUA

Can this be topped?
You are Donald Trump and I claim my £5!
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:33 pm

er no

John Moore
Posts: 2063
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Photobombing and less than complementary photgraphes

Post by John Moore » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:30 pm

MJMcCready wrote:A super slow Saturday, by that I mean no noted activity on the General chat forum has been observed today so far, I wondered if there are any pictures involving elite players which have been photobombed. After preliminary investigations, I can't find any. Is my assumption that the the endlessly photographed GMs of our time have a few less than complimentary pics languishing someone which they would rather not be reminded of or am I barking up the wrong tree>
"am I barking" - I will leave others to form a view but I am really surprised that John Upham hasn't got in first with this. Sorry MJ, but does it not occur to you that perhaps you are up the wrong tree in this particular Forum.

Post Reply