New broadcast model for World Championship Match

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: New broadcast model for World Championship Match

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 pm

... BT Sport streamed the England warmup game the other day via its Facebook page ....

Whilst simultaneously charging $10 pay per view?

Jonathan

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Not too dissimilar to Matthew 20:1-16
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 am
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 pm

... BT Sport streamed the England warmup game the other day via its Facebook page ....

Whilst simultaneously charging $10 pay per view?

Jonathan
I mentioned more the concept of offering a "taster" free of charge to draw people over to the main site. I think you could probably justify it on that basis in Round 1, despite simultaneously charging $10 for it. But not if it continues.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:06 pm
I think you could probably justify it on that basis in Round 1, despite simultaneously charging $10 for it. But not if it continues.
Well each to their own. FWIW I’d disagree. Probably more to the point Peter Doggers - who had actually paid the money - disagreed and asked for his money back.

Obviously the notion of a taster session is not bad in and of itself. It’s how you implement it. I’m not sure leaving people feeling cheated is good thing in the long-term

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 pm
Obviously the notion of a taster session is not bad in and of itself. It’s how you implement it. I’m not sure leaving people feeling cheated is good thing in the long-term
That's probably fair comment. Although the relationship between Agon and the public is so far beyond repair at this point that one further error of judgement probably won't have much impact.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 pm

This reminds me of televised cricket. For decades I could not imagine not watching Tests on television. Then Sky got the rights and, like many friends and colleagues, I couldn't stomach paying money to those vermin. I discovered that life went on.

In the same way, chess enthusiasts around the world will discover that, if they can't follow FIDE chess events live, there are alternative ways of spending their time. As to why FIDE think this is a good thing, we can only speculate.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Chessbomb appears to be broadcasting today

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:49 pm

The World Chess Facebook page is indeed streaming the commentary today for free, so I'll stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm

"Then Sky got the rights and, like many friends and colleagues, I couldn't stomach paying money to those vermin. I discovered that life went on."

A friend of mine felt like that about football - mind you he went a bit further and sat with his back to the TV in the pub when they were showing football on Sky.

"In the same way, chess enthusiasts around the world will discover that, if they can't follow FIDE chess events live, there are alternative ways of spending their time. As to why FIDE think this is a good thing, we can only speculate."

Well, yes.

However, I avidly watch proper cricket on Sky, their coverage is so much better than BBC's was.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm
However, I avidly watch proper cricket on Sky, their coverage is so much better than BBC's was.
I only wanted to watch it with the sound off while listening to the radio commentary.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:49 pm
The World Chess Facebook page is indeed streaming the commentary today for free, so I'll stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.
This is what World Chess had to say:
World Chess wrote:@LennartOotes and everyone -- we will show first few days on Facebook live to promote the feature, and on Day 4 it will be a paid feature only. The main features of the premium version are not limited to video feed (but clearly this is the main one). Thanks.
Addressed to "Lennart Ootes and everyone", except they only actually sent it to Lennart...

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:09 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm
I’ve seen two reports on twitter from established journalists - Peter Doggers & Leonard Ootes - asking why Agon are charging money to watch the video feed of the Grand Prix via their website whilst giving the same video away for free via Facebook.
I guess they are the kind of people that keep asking [[insert your most hated entertainment company here: Sky, VirginMedia, BT, ...]] why new customers get stuff for free or much cheaper than existing customers. I would have thought everyone figured that one out already.

Personally, I think it’s good for Agon to experiment with new ideas. They might find something that actually works or they might be faster to conclude that the traditional free option is the way to go. Either way it’s good for them to experiment.

In any case, I really liked Miro’s commentary yesterday.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 am

"I only wanted to watch it with the sound off while listening to the radio commentary."

Of course!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 am
"I only wanted to watch it with the sound off while listening to the radio commentary."

Of course!
Yeah that was the problem with cricket going to satellite. Even if you were prepared to pay the money it messed up the synchronisation.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Listening to it streamed over the 'net at the same time as on actual radio (plenty of people in the house!) causes some quite amusing effects :)