Theoretical draws

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: Theoretical draws

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:11 pm

The daddy of all 'threefold repetitions straight from the opening' also involves Sax with the White pieces.

I’ve always thought a collection of immediate draws from the opening would make a good book.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:The daddy of all 'threefold repetitions straight from the opening' also involves Sax with the White pieces.
After the Saturday afternoon round of one Bermuda Open, the two invited Icelandic GMs were alone on 3/3. They went out on the town.

The following morning one of them arrived at the start of the round, much the worse for wear, to say that they had agreed a draw. Sorry, said the arbiter, you have to both appear at the board and play something resembling a game of chess. That is what they produced.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
I’ve always thought a collection of immediate draws from the opening would make a good book.
In the absence of such a book, we could always add them to this thread. Here's a couple of mine with the Black pieces.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:06 pm

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:54 pm

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:42 pm

John Upham wrote:There is a pair of sisters who routinely go through the motions with this line whenever they are paired.
Ah yes, the Kosintsevas. Fourteen draws and counting, according to chessgames.com.

But the Zhigalko brothers of Belarus aren't that far behind, with eight ...
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Here’s one of mine from many years ago.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Here’s another - if you’re flexible with your definition of "immediate" draw.

I was out of book before 10 g4. When I saw it on the board I was happy that I was getting an exciting game with competing attacks and winning chances albeit at the cost of a risky position for Black. Computer analysis after the game suggests 10 g4 is in fact just a forced draw. If either side varies from the moves played they are worse or lost.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Since we are talking about early threefold repetition generally, and draws here and in another thread, here is a game with a famous anecdote:

S&B quote the story from NIC 1992/3 about the orgnaiser deciding to penalise short draws
... the next morning seven players received a letter in which they were informed that one hundred thousand pesetas (one thousand dollars) would be deducted from their bonus.

The players' reactions varied ... The most impressive answer was given by Yusupov who went up to Mr Rentero and handed him an envelope with words to the following effect:'This envelope not only contains the one hundred thousand pesetas you want to deduct, but my complete bonus. If you think that I do not deserve this money I beg you to keep it. Tomorrow I will continue to fight as I have done in all previous rounds. At the end of the tournament I will come back to you and then you may decide whether I deserved this money or not.'

Speechless, Rentero tried to put the letter back into Yusupov's pocket and almost on the brink of tears he stammered: 'You are the most honest man I know. As long as I live you will play in Linares.'"
Which is good of them because it is always easier to find this stuff on google than to look through old magazines.

I wanted to mention it because the only time short, even arranged, draws bother me is if they bother the organiser, and this is how organisers can deal with it if they want.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Best friends Almira Skripchenko and Alexandra Kosteniuk demonstrate another early (unforced) repetition:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:55 pm

I abhor games concocted to circumvent regulations not allowing quick draws, and thus having repetitions as with the Kosintseva sisters.
1974 saw the absolutely honest, perfectly played game: Tony Miles v Stewart Reuben. It was 1 draw agreed.
That would no longer be allowed, it would have to be such as 1 e4 e5 2 draw agreed,

Lloyds Bank Masters Shirov 8/9 was paired with Shabalov 7.5. Both were from Latvia. Nobody else had more than 7. I asked them point blank whether thy intended to have a quck draw. When the answered, yes, their 'game' was not on a demo board.