Offering draws - possible rule change?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Dewi Jones

Offering draws - possible rule change?

Post by Dewi Jones » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 pm

I understand the desire of some people to have less draws, how about, instead of banning draw offers until move 30 or whatever how about draw offers (as opposed to proper draws through repetition, 50 moves, stalemate or whatever) stand for 5 moves. Meaning if you offer me the draw, you are allowing me to play 5 moves, see how the position develops or clarifies before deciding. Maybe I can even try a speculative attack?

Last night, I was playing a player 40 ecf points higher than me, I offered a draw in a better position, in order not to blow everything, which was accepted. But with my rule change I probably would have played on, rather than cash in my chips.

I personally don't see draws as a problem, but I wondered if this idea might find favour with anyone.

Brian Towers

Re: Offering draws - possible rule change?

Post by Brian Towers » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:18 am

This is an old suggestion which has been rejected for the obvious reasons before.

It also does absolutely nothing about the quick draw offer and immediate acceptance (possibly because it was actually agreed in the bar the night before) in the last round which suits both players. This is the kind of draw that most people who object to draws are talking about.

Look, the late Tony Miles described an excellent example of this in his column on the also late ChessCafe.com. The draw had been agreed the night before. The moves they were going to play had been agreed. In the actual game, several moves in, Miles' opponent played the first of two moves in the wrong order leaving Miles with an easy win if he so chose. Dilemma! What to do? Should he stick to the agreement or take advantage of his opponent's slip and cash in? Tony's original solution was to take out his pocket handkerchief and carefully polish the square on the board where he could play one of his pieces for the win, put his handkerchief away, look up at his opponent and give him wicked grin, look for signs of reddening and perspiration before playing the pre-arranged move like an English gentleman should.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Ah yes the (in) famous Miles v Christiansen in 1987 which got quoted in Chess Informant without any critique.

A young up and coming Indian player called V Anand (you may have heard of him) took it as gospel and played the Black "novelty" soon afterwards against Zapata. The rest is, of course, history :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:15 pm

Happened twice in the Baku Olympiad, with the same player each time as Black.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:26 pm

The trap and those games are mentioned in John Shaw's new book (pages 280-281).

The guy in Baku got away with a draw the first time (against Bermuda) when his opponent replied 6 Be2. But the Papua New Guinea opponent seems to have done his preparation!
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:20 am

Matt > A young up and coming Indian player called V Anand (you may have heard of him) took it as gospel and played the Black "novelty" soon afterwards against Zapata. The rest is, of course, history<

Viahy told me he was not aware of the Miles - Christiansen 'game' when he blundered.