Is chess a waste of time?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
R G Edwards

Post by R G Edwards » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:27 pm

I appreciate that's a rather inflammatory question, but it's one that's been on my mind recently.

Sure, chess is an interesting, enjoyable game, but as I get older (I'm nearly 50) I do find myself wondering whether it's really a great use of time. After all, our time here is a finite resource; how one chooses to spend it becomes increasingly important as one gets older and the choices you make when you're younger have a profound impact on one's later life.

Looking back, I do rather regret the amount of time I devoted to chess; was it the best use of my time? Probably not.

It's often said that 'chess keeps mad people sane'. I'm not sure that's true. I think there's a danger with chess in that it provides an outlet for people with social/emotional challenges but it allows them to take refuge in the game and not develop as human beings. They would be better off developing their social skills and interacting with others, since it would open them up to the full spectrum of colour and variety that life has to offer.

It saddens me when I read the obituaries on this site of obsessional amateur players, who appear to have led such lonely, lopsided lives. I wonder whether playing hundreds of games a year is not really a symptom of a deep void, rather than something to be celebrated.

I saw an interview with the actor William Shatner (of Star Trek) recently in which he said, "Experience as much as possible, feel as much as possible, give as much as possible, because before you know it, you're dead." Now I wouldn't normally turn to William Shatner for life advice, but something about that comment resonated. Maybe this is what happens when you get older.

Michael Farthing

Re: Is chess a waste of time?

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:09 pm

God gave all men all joys to love
But since our hearts are small
Decreed for each one jot should prove
beloved overall

And I rejoice! And I rejoice!
He sent to me on wings
A fine choice! A fine choice!
The glorious Game of Kings!

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Not when you are winning !

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:59 pm

I don't feel that playing chess is ever a waste of time but sometimes watching it can be; it is not the greatest spectator sport in the world!

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:06 pm

I suppose this begs the question as to what is NOT a waste of time? When you reduce our lives to the most basic needs, we are only required to take sufficient water and nutrients and evade death for as long as possible. All other activities are completely up to the individual to choose as they deem worthy.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:10 pm

R G Edwards wrote: It saddens me when I read the obituaries on this site of obsessional amateur players, who appear to have led such lonely, lopsided lives
Well, this does seem like a rather partial reading of things.

Many in fact had varied and fulfilling lives outside chess, but even regarding those who *were* a good fit for that ever popular book title "Chess Is My Life" they seemed perfectly happy that way, and were often very helpful and considerate to others (and thus remembered fondly by many on their passing, here and elsewhere)

If you don't think chess is that important and would rather do other things, sideline it and pursue those other matters instead.

Its not hard ;)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:54 pm

"I think there's a danger with chess in that it provides an outlet for people with social/emotional challenges but it allows them to take refuge in the game and not develop as human beings. They would be better off developing their social skills and interacting with others, since it would open them up to the full spectrum of colour and variety that life has to offer."

Well, yes. However, it is easy to say, "develop your social skills", but it is like the PE teacher telling me to run the 100 yards (as it was then) more quickly. "Yes , sir. How?"

I think it is useful to go to the pub (e.g.) after a club night or talk to people at tournaments, but don't just talk about chess. At Guernsey a few years ago, I was having a wide-ranging discussion with another player on things not to do with chess, when a random 130 insisted on showing us his game in great detail from that day, but luckily he decided to go to bed at 9 pm to make sure he was rested for the next round, which started at 2 pm...
Whatever you do, don't talk to non-chessplayers about chess, unless you confine yourself to the fights, sex scandals, and how nice the scenery is in Norway, Switzerland etc.

I do regret some of the time I have spent on chess. When I started full time work, I was quickly asked to play for the 1st team, and put on board 10 (of 10), despite being graded 180 ish. On gradings, I should have been on board 4 or 5. I asked the captain a few days later why I was so low and he explained that gradings didn't count as they were only based on 10 games a year (which was the total league fixtures), so they used experience as a measure. I pointed out I was playing about 70-100 games a year (including some good tournaments), so I was much more experienced than most of the other players, and especially him. For some reason, I kept on playing for the team. This was really stupid, I should have stuck to their internal competition, which I won about 10 years in a row, and politely declined invitations to play for the team. I really resent the amount of time I have spent organizing chess, when usually other people don't help. Then they moan at the way you're doing it! This isn't always the case of course.
I coached a junior years ago, and then he moved away when at university. Our paths crossed at a tournament years later when he was nearly of IM strength, and he rushed over and thanked me again for my help and bought me a beer. Things like that make it worthwhile.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:11 pm

As opposed to hanging out on internet forums?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:06 pm

I suppose it is largely a waste of time, but a damn good one.

As Joey says, much the same could be said of any leisure activity.

And what if it actually does stave off Alzheimer's disease ? Suppose the proof is out there somewhere?! :shock:

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:00 pm

The iranian website Achmaz.ir champions the idea that only chess staves Alzeimer's, but I think all thought activities do the same, even solving a crossword puzzle, and my grandpa never played chess and was not affected with Alzeimer's untill his last months.

Chess is both a pastime, a strategy game, a thought activity, and examplifies life.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Or you could look at chess the way Hans Ree has done - "it is beautiful enough to waste your life for".
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Yes chess is a waste of time but you cannot save all your time!
And you can gain benefits by playing chess, material or intellectual

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Or you could look at chess the way Hans Ree has done - "it is beautiful enough to waste your life for".
Don't be silly
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:you can gain benefits by playing chess, material or intellectual
Frequently asserted; but evidence, scarce

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:36 pm

Take it up with him, not me ;)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:15 am

David Robertson wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:you can gain benefits by playing chess, material or intellectual
Frequently asserted; but evidence, scarce
How r u gonna prove chess improves your mental ability?
There can not be such a study. It is not like a pill that shows its effect immeditely. But regarding material benefits, I earned about 2400K tomans (=480 pounds) last year, about 400K tomans (=80 pounds) of which were from the championship of our province and two weakenders in USA and Iran, appart from the sale of chess books. This is when I have not earned anything from teaching but here some people even earn 2M tomans(=400 ponds) per month from teaching alone.