live games can be watched for juniors at link below.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Hibbard

Re: live games can be watched for juniors at link below.

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:I say this not as a criticism for those immediately involved. I imagine they are doing a lot of work and are understaffed and underfunded ... but really if the ECF can't get internet coverage of the Championship tournament then something is wrong.
It is a huge job to bring you this live coverage and on-site today I am not even sure if it is a "they"

If I didn't have to work to pay the bills I would also be on-site for this one :cry:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:55 pm

so have we any news on if the top 5 boards are ok or they also wrong? 19 boards is a lot to run on first day there always teething problems every year but it get sorted for tommrow i belive.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: It is a huge job to bring you this live coverage and on-site today I am not even sure if it is a "they"

If I didn't have to work to pay the bills I would also be on-site for this one :cry:

That doesn't surprise me - and it's kind of what I'm getting at.

This is a big, important job and shouldn't be left to people doing it on a voluntary basis while they take time off from their 'proper jobs'.

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Justin Hadi wrote:Looks like the 'Wells' game was Briscoe-Hebden as that game has been reported 0-1.
I was looking at Hawkins Vs Arkell 0-1 with a fair degree of confusion. :lol:
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Justin Hadi wrote:There's more to chess than the ECF and British Championship games viewed for the main part by already experienced players...
Agreed regarding the first bit.

Regarding the second ... maybe that's true at the moment but I certainly don't agree that the internet chess market - if we wan't to call it that - is only made up of already experienced chess players.

I play email chess at http://www.redhotpawn.com/. That site currently has getting on for 20,000 active players, the vast majority of them not 'experienced' club players - the proof of that being me, a very average club player heading towards the top 10% on the rating list.

Potentially there's a huge pool of people who play chess on line but currently would never dream of joining a club.

Also - if chess got it's act together re: presenting these games live perhaps there's then the potential to get general news sites (major broadcasters and newspapers such as BBC/telegraph/guardian and so forth) to carry the feed on their sites reaching even more people.

I know there are other ways to popularise chess but all this fiddling with the rules does seem rather to be putting the cart before the horse.

... and once again I'm not trying to criticize those (or 'him' if Carl is right) on the ground who no doubt are doing their best with not enough resources.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:33 pm

the Britsh champion looks in real trouble does conquest but is it really conquest game?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Ian Lamb wrote:the Britsh champion looks in real trouble does conquest but is it really conquest game?
Yes, there aren't as many issues as you are assuming Ian...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:36 pm

To Jonathan : There's a difference between people watching live games of the British Championship, and people playing at correspondence and ICC type sites (although they're broadcasting the games, most people will be playing) though isn't there?
The arguments above are pretty much the same as what I put in the facebook group.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:40 pm

brtish champion lost it seems then in the first round wow big upset shock of the round.and howell beat Littlewood.
Last edited by Ian Lamb on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:... and once again I'm not trying to criticize those (or 'him' if Carl is right) on the ground who no doubt are doing their best with not enough resources.
The almost free nature of the service provided perhaps lulls the ECF into a false sense of the true cost (or resources needed) probably
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Justin Hadi wrote:To Jonathan : There's a difference between people watching live games of the British Championship, and people playing at correspondence and ICC type sites (although they're broadcasting the games, most people will be playing) though isn't there?
Well yes - and I'm suggesting we can entice (or aim to) people to move from one group to another. There are 'non-serious' chess players already active on the internet. Makes sense, to me at least, that we make best use of our internet options to snare these guys.

The point I'm making is that the potential internet audience is probably bigger than the potential tv audience ... and we might want to get what we're already doing right before trying to do anything else.

I have to say, however, that the calls for banning resignations raises more of an eyebrow for me than the chess on tv thingy.

David Clayton

Post by David Clayton » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Hello everyone.

Sorry about the second display today. never thought the boards would have delivered with the wrong labels on. Very confusing.

Tomorrow morning it's U175 planned for the sensory boards. A display of 5 then of 9. Hopefully this will give me a bit more time to set up the top 5 championship boards over lunch time.

But as breakfast cannot be earlier than 8am and we can only get access to the hall after 8am, then it's not a lot of time to set up. But I will try.

Will try and chat with you all in the morning.

Bye for now.

Dave

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:31 am

David,

thanks for your work on this.

Jonathan

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:28 am

yes i second that thanks for your hardwork in bringing the live games

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:53 am

David Clayton wrote:Hello everyone.

Sorry about the second display today. never thought the boards would have delivered with the wrong labels on. Very confusing.

Tomorrow morning it's U175 planned for the sensory boards. A display of 5 then of 9. Hopefully this will give me a bit more time to set up the top 5 championship boards over lunch time.

But as breakfast cannot be earlier than 8am and we can only get access to the hall after 8am, then it's not a lot of time to set up. But I will try.

Will try and chat with you all in the morning.

Bye for now.

Dave
No joy with the U175s it seems. Still yesterday's Championship games are being shown.