British Championship Thread

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ben Purton

Re: British Championship Thread

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 am

Im saying Id rather know the line than know all the names, I am not a theory person as you should know, hopefully I will be in short future.

Yes I am very grumpy *hugs*. Kind of , had a bad nights sleep.

So yeah , hands up I got fried liver confused with whatever thats called frat-thingy.

Don't appreciate Upham pointing the finger at me.

Praying Sarah wins today V LeMoir, but its a horrible pairing for FIDE rating, 190 solid and 2009 FIDE, who here would want to play him considering that.

Kind regards

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:15 am

Ian Lamb wrote:so quick draw on howell board what your view will the others play and fight or will there sevral quick draws what you think?horner v lalic last year at liverpool was the fried liver i belive.
Ian,
Horner - Lalic, British Ch., Liverpool 2008, Rd. 6. Bd. 4 was a Sicilian (B30)?
Are you related to Rexel, by any chance?
Paul.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:16 am

Ben,

Double hugs (both sides), dark glasses, aspirin and an ice-cream. And best wishes for Sarah.

Is that Sarah Hegarty?

Regards,
Paul.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:17 am

I am actually trying to improve my forum attitude , youll see I edit alot of my posts these days from the intial burst to the sort of "thinking" about what I said.

PS My spelling etc will not be good today , it goes very bad when I am literally yawning 1 hour in to my 11 hour shift.
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:18 am

Yeah

Sarah and I have dated for near 2 years. As people point out she is indeed half Irish(hence the surname). But she is loyal to the England team these days.

Ben

Paul McKeown

Re: Fried Liver

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:19 am

John Upham wrote:Despite that error I would have liked to have seen a Traxler between two GMs. We are getting to see all sorts of stuff not normally seen in 2700+ chess.
John, I like the way you leave a double space between sentences, thought I was the only dinosaur left alive :wink: A Traxler/Wilkes Barr would be fab. Didn't everyone go through that phase?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:21 am

Ben Purton wrote:Yeah

Sarah and I have dated for near 2 years. As people point out she is indeed half Irish(hence the surname). But she is loyal to the England team these days.

Ben
In that case, I have played her once, a few years ago. I won easily enough, she tried to swap everything off, but just left me with the remaining active pieces. Guess she plays a lot better these days.

Good luck you two.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:23 am

Yeah she has taken a massive leap over last 18 months. So no doubt it was her.

Thanks

Alex Holowczak

Re: Breakfast time video

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 am

John Upham wrote:Here is a breakfast time video courtesy of Tryfon Gavriel's iPhone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uCXHO-YQ0M :D
Couldn't you just tell it was warmly appreciated by those sat at the table with him? :)

On a serious note, why can't the ECF do more of this sort of thing? Not just the chess, but "around the venue" aswell?

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:45 am

iam getting confused it was horner hebden or horner rudd i know it was the fried liver. and i know horner played it think it was hebden. at liverpool last year.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:49 am

Ian,

I have downloaded the pgn for last year's Brit at Liverpool. [Big Thank You to John Saunders. You Are The Man!] Trawled through the whole file. There were quite a number of lesser seen Royal Games, includes several Philidor's, a couple of Center Games's (very unusual these days), a brace of Evan's Gambits, a Hungarian Defence, a Four Knights Opening, a Scotch Four Knights, a Bishops Opening, several Giuoco Pianissimo's, even an unusual early queen excursion which, however, transposed to one of those Quiet Italian's.

I searched high, I searched low, I searched high again. My heart missed a beat, when finally I spotted the desired one: C57. Sadly, however, it turned out to be an Ulvestad.

So, therefore, sadly, I conclude that I shall never see my lost one, my darling Clementine, my ... Fried Liver Attack ... not until Rybka 42 and Fritz 42 pair up and complete the tree search for the Italian complex and prove that Black is saved by an unlikely reciprocal zugzwang on move 42, the like of which would warm the very coldest cockles of Dr. John Nunn's heart.

Paul.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:55 am

look like a few hungover the faces at the breakfast tables but the video great i love kingcrushers commentry when he on the icc doing the live games especially when he beat hebden twice in bullet chess.games :)

Joel Bird

Post by Joel Bird » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:10 am

Does anyone know what boards & sets they're using at the British, and where I can get one from? Thanks

Some exciting chess this championship has got me interested again!

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:16 am

joel there using staunton sets with a woodenboard http://houseofstaunton.com/ is where you can get them from.
Last edited by Ian Lamb on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:17 am

Joel Bird wrote:Does anyone know what boards & sets they're using at the British, and where I can get one from? Thanks

Some exciting chess this championship has got me interested again!
I think this is the basic model. The British uses the additional sensors and things to get them to stream on the website. Although, they probably don't use them on all boards in all sections.