No High heels.......have a bath then.....

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ben Purton

No High heels.......have a bath then.....

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:50 pm

In the British championship a mid tournament announcement was made that any shoes that make a noise(aka any heels) were not permitted in the playing hall.

I love the way the forum moan about lack of female players
I love the way the forum moan about negative stereotypes of chess players.

Then you hear crap like this and you then think maybe chess makes its own bed in which to lie.

PS: they should make these announcements pre tournament.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Alex Holowczak

Re: No High heels.......have a bath then.....

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 pm

How are they going to enforce that? Is there a threshold where you transfer from no noise to too noisy? There has to be some noise. Are the arbiters going to go around with some equipment measuring the number of decibels produced by your footwear? Do you have to take your shoes off and put them at the side of the room before you walk in? I hope the female players at the Championship do precisely the opposite, and all wear noisy shoes just to make a point.

This sort of over-bureaucracy really annoys me.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:57 pm

I think my girlfriend packed 8 pairs of shoes..7 of which have heels on. :)
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:02 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:How are they going to enforce that? Is there a threshold where you transfer from no noise to too noisy?
You use your common sense. Personally I would be surprised if any experienced player chose to wear footwear that made a loud noise, quiet being such an important quality in a tournament room.
Alex Holowczak wrote:I hope the female players at the Championship do precisely the opposite, and all wear noisy shoes just to make a point.
Do you really?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:04 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:How are they going to enforce that? Is there a threshold where you transfer from no noise to too noisy?
You use your common sense. Personally I would be surprised if any experienced player chose to wear footwear that made a loud noise, quiet being such an important quality in a tournament room.
Well, precisely.
JustinHorton wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I hope the female players at the Championship do precisely the opposite, and all wear noisy shoes just to make a point.
Do you really?
Yes. At heart, I'm just a little bit childish. :oops:
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:08 pm

Don't worry about Horton Alex. He is the child

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:11 pm

and regarding Horton's 'point' , you would think a respectable player would have a bloody wash more than once a month, but quite a few don't.

Ben

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:56 pm

that a disgrace how can you say that mid tourny that just crazy because of wood floor make sure the british is on a carpet floor next year please!!!!totally agree ben players should be told pre tourny i can guess who came up with this rule but i not name names. :)

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:12 pm

The announcement about 'sources of noise' was made at the beginning of the tournament - not mid- event. Shoes were mentioned - not specifically high heels -as leather soled shoes are equally bad offenders. I know because I made the announcement!!!! But why let accuracy stand in the way of a good rant .....

The announcement is in line with the Laws of Chess applicable from 1st July. If you object take it up with FIDE.

It would be ideal if all events were carpeted (as the Scottish was this year) but this is just not a possibility without a sponsor. Anyone know the managing director of Carpetright?

By the way, I have had to tell a player that his lack of personal hygiene was distracting to his opponent and another arbiter actually washed a competitors clothes overnight!!!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:34 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote: The announcement is in line with the Laws of Chess applicable from 1st July. If you object take it up with FIDE.
It was mentioned elsewhere that the new rule regarding default time (i.e. 0 minutes), was not being adhered to, i.e. the standard UK rules regarding default times were being used. Was the 0 minute rule added on 1st July (or at any other point)? If so, why can you choose to use the local default time rule, but still have to adhere to the FIDE don't-wear-squeaky-shoes rule?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:37 pm

Conceivably because one is considered more sensible and suitable than the other.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:39 pm

Well, if you can pick and choose which rules are used based on what is considered sensible, people may disagree on what is "considered sensible". So why couldn't you then pick some other rule for some reason, and change that?

There's probably a perfectly good reason for it, I just don't know what it is.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Well, if you can pick and choose which rules are used based on what is considered sensible, people may disagree on what is "considered sensible". So why couldn't you then pick some other rule for some reason, and change that?
I'm not sure I follow that, would you like to have another go?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:43 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:If so, why can you choose to use the local default time rule, but still have to adhere to the FIDE don't-wear-squeaky-shoes rule?
Because the FIDE rules on default times say the default time is 0 minutes unless the rules of the competition specify otherwise. They do not give the arbiter any discretion in ensuring that "a good playing environment is maintained and that the players are not disturbed."

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:46 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:If so, why can you choose to use the local default time rule, but still have to adhere to the FIDE don't-wear-squeaky-shoes rule?
Because the FIDE rules on default times say the default time is 0 minutes unless the rules of the competition specify otherwise. They do not give the arbiter any discretion in ensuring that "a good playing environment is maintained and that the players are not disturbed."
Thanks.