Swiss Manager - Help Needed

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Re: Swiss Manager - Help Needed

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm

The most recent issue of Chess magazine perhaps can dispel the canard that the issues raised concern the user rather than the software. A nice review of the Richmond Rapidplays was published from a Singaporean coach. He made (amongst much else) the following observation:
quote regarding chess-results.com.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:The most recent issue of Chess magazine perhaps can dispel the canard that the issues raised concern the user rather than the software. A nice review of the Richmond Rapidplays was published from a Singaporean coach. He made (amongst much else) the following observation:

quote regarding chess-results.com.png
It is a UK thing where we publish results as we go along, but the rest of the world seems to only update Chess-Results once the entire round is over with. It isn't clear to me why the British approach isn't the better way of doing it, unless it's a huge children's tournament.

Noting they haven't been submitted for rating yet, hopefully the arrival speed of the rating files was/will be just as impressive. :wink:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Noting they haven't been submitted for rating yet, hopefully the arrival speed of the rating files was/will be just as impressive. :wink:
I thought that had been done, but clearly not. I will get onto it this evening.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Alex, I have checked my correspondence. The FIDE rating files for August's Richmond Rapidplay were sent by email on 15/08/2017 at 14:52, and received a response from the ECF at 15:16. Could you confirm whether there is a problem, or not?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:27 pm

All tournaments that have been submitted and processed by the ECF grading officer, Matt Carr, are listed on the ECF grading website:
http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.p ... _received&

Neither of your two most recent events (LJCC Qualifier 30th September, Richmond Rapidplay 15th October) are listed, which would indicate they are missing from the grading database. If they don't appear on the ECF grading database it is unlikely that they will have been submitted for FIDE rating either. Late submission will also exclude them from the ECF Grand Prix.

Reference
Richmond Junior Club Event Calendar: http://www.rjcc.org.uk/richard/diary.htm

Your August Richmond Rapidplay event isn't listed either.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Alex, I have checked my correspondence. The FIDE rating files for August's Richmond Rapidplay were sent by email on 15/08/2017 at 14:52, and received a response from the ECF at 15:16. Could you confirm whether there is a problem, or not?
Paul, why are you asking Alex?
Why don't you check for yourself?

If the tournament was submitted in August then it should appear on the FIDE rating website in their list of ENG tournaments for September - https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_lis ... 2017-09-01 .

If you follow the link you will see that "Richmond Rapidplay Open August 2017" is one such and "Richmond Rapidplay U120 August 2017" is another.
At the end of each of these lines is an underlined inf. If you click on this you will get the information for the tournament. There, at the bottom of the page, you will see "View Report Rated for September 2017 as Rapid" with the underlining again showing a link. Click on this link and you will see a summary of the rating changes FIDE have calculated for your tournament.

It looks to me like both these tournaments have been rated by FIDE.

PS I would just add that the information you give, namely that the ECF office replied within half an hour that they had processed your file and sent it to FIDE, reflects my own experience with them. During office hours they are very efficient indeed.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 am

Thanks, Brian.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:09 am

Michael Flatt wrote:If they don't appear on the ECF grading database it is unlikely that they will have been submitted for FIDE rating either.
Different and entirely independent processes. One does not result in the other.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:15 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Michael Flatt wrote:If they don't appear on the ECF grading database it is unlikely that they will have been submitted for FIDE rating either.
Different and entirely independent processes. One does not result in the other.
Well, it looks as though you submitted them solely to the International Rating Officer and bypassed the ECF Grading Administrator.
Don't you intend your tournaments to be ECF graded or accepted for the ECF Grand Prix?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:23 am

I submitted the FIDE rating report to the IRO; I submitted the ECF grading report to the local grading officer. What leaps of imagination you make with this information is your matter. Constructively, I am now going to drink a small G&T, finish preparing a game by Judit Polgar for tomorrow, and go to bed.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 am

Paul McKeown wrote:I submitted the FIDE rating report to the IRO; I submitted the ECF grading report to the local grading officer. What leaps of imagination you make with this information is your matter. Constructively, I am now going to drink a small G&T, finish preparing a game by Judit Polgar for tomorrow, and go to bed.
That resolves the question, then. The results haven't yet been received or processed by the ECF Grading Administrator, which I think is what Alex had queried.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:01 pm

I didn't realise quite the chain of misunderstanding I kicked off with my comment.

I thought the write-up was about the October Richmond Rapidplay event (in hindsight, given the timescales, unlikely), which happened on 15th October, and not the August event. The 15th October event had not been submitted for FIDE-rating at the time of my comment, but given the deadline was 28th October, there was no immediate hurry. Possibly spurred by my comment, the October rating files were sent in yesterday, and have been submitted for rating.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I thought the write-up was about the October Richmond Rapidplay event (in hindsight, given the timescales, unlikely), which happened on 15th October, and not the August event.
Indeed.

The original post quotes a review by a Singaporean coach which appeared in the October issue of "Chess" which landed on my doormat in late September.
Unless either Malcolm Pein or the Singaporean coach are in possession of a time machine this would be impossible rather than just unlikely.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:41 am

Does anyone have experience with the Online Registration function of chess-results.com?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Online Registration function of chess-results.com?
yes... don't use it!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!