Swiss Manager - Help Needed

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Re: Swiss Manager - Help Needed

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Hmm, sounds like the marking present function, or the prizes function, then as well!

Out of curiosity, what do you find bad about the online registration function?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks to a few recent meetings with other SM users (experienced users and converts) I will update the file

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bX4 ... sp=sharing

and I have also added a simple ECF to FIDE conversion chart which you can print out, the might be useful if like me you run tournaments using FIDE for seeding, but have a lot of players enter on the day with just ECF grades. Ideal for blitz events! Thanks to Geoff Gammon for that idea.

The new version of SM has the ability to tick off players as they arrive for an event, and pair just those players for round one. This is very useful if you have a regular junior club with a regular swiss, for instance, but you just don't know which kids will turn up for the event until the last minute.

If you have tips to share please let me know.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:10 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 am
For the experts, though, here is a question.

Is there a way to get a full report (or a means to export the data) on all the players in an event, with all the entered data provided, including name, id, FIDE id, grade, rating, gender, club, date or birth, etc?

Or even better, that plus all the games played. That would be perfect for generating the necessary info for ECF grading, for instance.

However, if such a thing exists, I haven't found it, and I end up hacking together various columns from various reports to get what is needed, which seems like unnecessary drudgery.
Actually both possibilities exist, it would appear:
Other > Data import/export

Then select Export type > Player data (text file) or Export type > Player pairings (text file)

Very primitive, only outputs a text file of type .txt. The separator character can be chosen. No control is given over which data fields are exported.

Nevertheless, this should allow some form of automation, albeit clunky.

Time to get working on some macros, I think.

Similar possibilities exist to import player data, but what fields it expects, I have no idea. Some poking around will be necessary.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:53 am

I can get Names of players in a text file. is there a way to copy&ppaste their names in a tournament or do I have to input them manually?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:10 am
Paul McKeown wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 am
For the experts, though, here is a question.

Is there a way to get a full report (or a means to export the data) on all the players in an event, with all the entered data provided, including name, id, FIDE id, grade, rating, gender, club, date or birth, etc?

Or even better, that plus all the games played. That would be perfect for generating the necessary info for ECF grading, for instance.

However, if such a thing exists, I haven't found it, and I end up hacking together various columns from various reports to get what is needed, which seems like unnecessary drudgery.
Actually both possibilities exist, it would appear:
Other > Data import/export

Then select Export type > Player data (text file) or Export type > Player pairings (text file)

Very primitive, only outputs a text file of type .txt. The separator character can be chosen. No control is given over which data fields are exported.

Nevertheless, this should allow some form of automation, albeit clunky.

Time to get working on some macros, I think.

Similar possibilities exist to import player data, but what fields it expects, I have no idea. Some poking around will be necessary.
There is no need to write any macros since the existing software does everything that is necessary.

By far the best way to produce a FIDE rating file is via menu options: Other > FIDE Data Export TRF06

A registered ECF grader can then process the FIDE file using the BCF Data Checker Program, which has the facility to reformat the tournament results in the ECF grading submission file format.

The BCF Data Checker will check players against the ECF Master grading database and identify possible data errors which can be corrected and the file rerun through the BCF Data Checker.

If you regularly run tournaments and submit results for ECF grading or FIDE rating it would make sense to become a registered ECF grader.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Grandmother. Suck eggs. Running the Richmond Rapidplays, Richmond Blitz tournaments and various junior events, naturally I submit regular FIDE rating reports, and am aware of Swiss Mangler producing TRF06, indeed use it each time I need to submit a FIDE rating report. The information required in a FIDE rating report is not, however, a one-to-one mapping of the information required for ECF grading, as already discussed at the start of this long thread.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 pm
Grandmother. Suck eggs.
Michael Flatt's advice was valuable and should not be met with this response.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 pm
The information required in a FIDE rating report is not, however, a one-to-one mapping of the information required for ECF grading, as already discussed at the start of this long thread.
As far as I am aware, the ECF grading team have already spotted that the data output by FIDE based results software for FIDE rating is equivalent to that for ECF grading and they wrote programs to automate the conversion many years ago.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Roger, except for creating a new entry in the ECF grading list. We have already beaten this topic to death at the start of this whole thread. I will leave the thread here, as it is now in danger of becoming yet another forum deja vu all over again retread.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 pm
Roger, except for creating a new entry in the ECF grading list. We have already beaten this topic to death at the start of this whole thread. I will leave the thread here, as it is now in danger of becoming yet another forum deja vu all over again retread.
You are close to taking a break again Paul.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Roger, except for creating a new entry in the ECF grading list.
Shouldn't there be a process for doing this? Wouldn't you do this, or have this done, before attempting to build an export file? Presumably there's an established method which organisers of international events would also have to be able to deal with.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:08 pm
Paul McKeown wrote:
Roger, except for creating a new entry in the ECF grading list.
Shouldn't there be a process for doing this? Wouldn't you do this, or have this done, before attempting to build an export file? Presumably there's an established method which organisers of international events would also have to be able to deal with.
Nick & Roger: Thankyou for your comments

Any player without an ECF grading code will be allocated one by the ECF Grading Administrator (i.e. Matt Carr) when the results are submitted to the ECF.

In fact, the BCF Grading Checker program identifies players that are not on the ECF Master database and outputs an information message to confirm that an ECF Grading Code will be created once the grading submission file has been processed by the ECF.

Also, any player who registers for ECF membership and has no grading code will be allocated one in advance of playing any graded games.

My post responds directly to the question that you posed. I would suggest contacting Matt Carr directly if you continue to have problems.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Carl, your memory must be playing tricks. I have never "taken a break", as you put it, "again".

I don't see the point, though, in rehashing one of the earliest points in a thread, simply because a poster can't remember or be bothered to read what he has posted before.

As for our correspondent from Surbiton, nothing he has ever said or will ever say has or will hold any interest for me.

I am happy to take a break. I rarely post here anymore, rarely even read it. I drop in from time to time, but it's mostly same old.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 pm
As for our correspondent from Surbiton, nothing he has ever said or will ever say has or will hold any interest for me.
Your loss, Paul. I disagree with Nick from time to time, but he is almost always well informed.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Just received the following from the ECF:
Dear Organiser

An increasing number of English tournaments have been using the Swiss
pairing program Swiss-Manager. After working with the program designer,
Heinz Herzog, it now includes the facility to generate ECF grading files.
The software will generate a text file, that you can open in Notepad, in
which you will only have to change ---

1) The time control, which is assumed to be all moves in 90 minutes plus 30
seconds per move unless you change it
2) The event code for the tournament
3) The email addresses for the treasurer and the grader
4) The club codes for anyone who does not have a grading reference

This should hopefully dramatically reduce your workload and make the ECF
grading of tournaments in Swiss-Manager much easier. If you discover any
bugs or issues, then please get in touch.

Alex Holowczak, ECF Director of Home Chess
This is a huge improvement. I would like to thank the ECF, the arbiters involved in this, and Heinz Herzog. I would particularly like to thank Alex: he may occasionally be a cantankerous rascal, but he does get things done. Thanks, all!