London chess-FIDE open

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2975
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

London chess-FIDE open

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:50 pm

When will that be?
London chess classic will be held 29 nov-11 dec:
http://theweekinchess.com/chess-calendar

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19000
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:04 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:When will that be?
London chess classic will be held 29 nov-11 dec:
The exact timetable has yet to be published.

If it followed the same template as previous years, it will run from Friday evening 1st December to Friday afternoon 8th December. 9 rounds with a double round on the Saturday. The weekend of the 9th and 10th of December would feature a rapidplay open.

I rather suspect the timetable is going to be different this year as it would seem the normal Olympia venue isn't available on Friday 1st. The London Chess Classic website implies that the first round is going to be "somewhere else" on the Friday, with a rest day on the Saturday and the second round on the Sunday. That in turn may imply that the Open won't start until the Sunday.

Not publishing timetables and event details in a timely manner is poor practice and over time will reduce the attraction of the tournament.

The way it's going at the moment will have the details announced about a day before the early entry deadline.

The website of the Olympia venue currently has no mention of a chess festival taking place in December.

https://olympia.london/whatson

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2975
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 pm

I need to get visa if I am to play.
I am now in Canada and can easily go to the consulate, I think.
In Iran, it would be hard, I think.

Nick Grey
Posts: 1551
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:16 pm

It was suggested that October was when we will hear have brochure etc. Securing venue dates was going to be difficult with the closure of other exhibition centres in the area.

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2975
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:00 pm

It will definitely take place between 29 Nov and 11 December, right?

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4005
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:10 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:It will definitely take place between 29 Nov and 11 December, right?
Yes.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:When will that be?
London chess classic will be held 29 nov-11 dec:
The exact timetable has yet to be published.
http://tickets.londonchessclassic.com/tournaments.php

http://tickets.londonchessclassic.com/L ... 0Rules.pdf

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19000
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:48 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: Yes.
(edit) dates corrected
Play in the Open is every day at 4:30 pm from Saturday 2nd December to Saturday 9th December with an additional round at 10:00 am on Sunday 3rd December.

Players will be expected to register by 6:00 pm on the Friday evening. For those intending to commute that by no means guarantees that they will show up, as their actual presence will depend on the functioning of that Saturday's road and rail transport.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Play in the Open is every day at 4:30 pm from Saturday 1st December to Saturday 8th December with an additional round at 10:00 am on Sunday 2nd December.
I think you might need to check that.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19000
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:Play in the Open is every day at 4:30 pm from Saturday 1st December to Saturday 8th December with an additional round at 10:00 am on Sunday 2nd December.
I think you might need to check that.
From the pdf of the rules
Round 1 Saturday, 2nd December 1630
Round 2 Sunday, 3rd December 1000
Round 3 Sunday, 3rd December 1630
Round 4 Monday, 4th December 1630
Round 5 Tuesday, 5th December 1630
Round 6 Wednesday, 6th December 1630
Round 7 Thursday, 7th December 1630
Round 8 Friday, 8th December 1630
Round 9 Saturday, 9th December 1630

John McKenna
Posts: 4192
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:06 pm

The London Classic FIDE Open runs from Sat. 2nd Dec. 13:00 and ends Sat. 9th 17:00. Entry fee £125 for players U-2050.

(Soheil should not be deterred by that as all-in-all it is a relatively small price to pay to play in, and watch, a truly great event.)

There's also a 'Super Blitz' on Sun. 10th Dec. 10:00-19:00. Entry fee £30

Entry fees avaible until 16th Oct.

Edit - My thanks to Soheil - for the prompting - David S - for the confirmation and Loz - for the links.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:Play in the Open is every day at 4:30 pm from Saturday 1st December to Saturday 8th December with an additional round at 10:00 am on Sunday 2nd December.
I think you might need to check that.
From the pdf of the rules
Round 1 Saturday, 2nd December 1630
Round 2 Sunday, 3rd December 1000
Round 3 Sunday, 3rd December 1630
Round 4 Monday, 4th December 1630
Round 5 Tuesday, 5th December 1630
Round 6 Wednesday, 6th December 1630
Round 7 Thursday, 7th December 1630
Round 8 Friday, 8th December 1630
Round 9 Saturday, 9th December 1630
Indeed. What was the date of the Saturdays and Sunday you quoted? I think my calendar's right.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7499
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Roger should have said:

"Play in the Open is every day at 4:30 pm from Saturday 2nd December to Saturday 9th December with an additional round at 10:00 am on Sunday 3rd December."

It is strange that you have to ferret around in the pdf of the rules to find the exact timetable.

And I can't even find the pdf of the rules on the website. Where is that?

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It is strange that you have to ferret around in the pdf of the rules to find the exact timetable.

And I can't even find the pdf of the rules on the website. Where is that?
Give the webmaster a chance. By the very nature of these things, one bit of the website has to be done before the other. :)

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7499
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It is strange that you have to ferret around in the pdf of the rules to find the exact timetable.

And I can't even find the pdf of the rules on the website. Where is that?
Give the webmaster a chance. By the very nature of these things, one bit of the website has to be done before the other. :)
:D

Re-reading Roger's original post, I like this bit:

"For those intending to commute that by no means guarantees that they will show up, as their actual presence will depend on the functioning of that Saturday's road and rail transport."

Shock, horror! People might get delayed by transport problems. Who would have guessed?

Is the point being made that running a tournament in London carries additional risks of defaults because a number of people chose to commute great distances rather than stay in a central hotel? Doing this to save money is more than reasonable, but a risk that people take. You would hope that people would check in advance for any scheduled engineering works or rail closures. Surely, though, all the people doing this would be familiar with such transport problems, and those less familiar with London's urban and suburban transport systems would tend to stay closer to the venue.

Post Reply