Arbitration question

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Tim Harding

Re: Arbitration question

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:11 pm
Tim. Why are you referring to the 2016 Arbiters' Manual? There is a 2018 one. The Arbiters' Manual is not Law. It is just suggestions. Naturally there are mistakes. I did check the 2018 edition prior to publication. Even so, I expect there are errors. I think I did not get to check the 2016 edition.
If I typed 2016 it was just a misprint I failed to spot. All references were to the September 2018 (pre-Olympiad) manual. I don't think there is a more recent one. It can be downloaded from http://arbiters.fide.com/
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:15 pm

A player forgets to press his clock. His captain is behind him, and touches the shoulder of him. The opponent stops the clock and calls the arbiter. What has to be done?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:44 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:15 pm
A player forgets to press his clock. His captain is behind him, and touches the shoulder of him. The opponent stops the clock and calls the arbiter. What has to be done?
Warn the captain not to do things that could be considered advice. If he's a non-playing captain, you could ask him to leave the playing area.

Ted Black

Post by Ted Black » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am

In local league chess there is never going to be an arbiter. In fact, in the Portsmouth and District League I play in, there is the following paragraph in the league rules:
Where the Laws refer to the arbiter, the team captains shall jointly perform the role of the arbiter. If the team captains cannot
agree, they should refer the matter to the controller of the event.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Ted Black wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am
In local league chess there is never going to be an arbiter. In fact, in the Portsmouth and District League I play in, there is the following paragraph in the league rules:
Where the Laws refer to the arbiter, the team captains shall jointly perform the role of the arbiter.
So there is an arbiter, albeit in an unsatisfactory two-headed form. In my opinion, adopting the version of the Laws which applies in the absence of an arbiter works better.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:12 am

What's the rule for his absence? Where is it?

Ted Black

Post by Ted Black » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:16 pm

The rules cannot possibly cover every eventuality, so I believe discretion and common sense is the order of the day.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:19 pm

PREFACE (to theFIDE Laws of Chess)

The Laws of Chess cannot cover all possible situations that may arise during a game, nor can they regulate all administrative questions. Where cases are not precisely regulated by an Article of the Laws, it should be possible to reach a correct decision by studying analogous situations which are regulated in the Laws.

The Laws assume that arbiters have the necessary competence, sound judgement and absolute objectivity. Too detailed a rule might deprive the arbiter of his freedom of judgement and thus prevent him from finding a solution to a problem dictated by fairness, logic and special factors. FIDE appeals to all chess players and federations to accept this view.

The Laws assume the presence of an arbiter, at least in the venue, or preferably playing area. The only exception is Guidline III.6. and I don't think Soheil was referring to quickplay finishes. That guideline was written by the late Richard Furness and David Welch as there are a large number of league games in England played without an arbiter being present.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:27 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:19 pm
as there are a large number of league games in England played without an arbiter being present.
...and, even more to the point, where digital clocks are not used or not trusted.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 pm

What would be the ruling for a player who recorded White move for black and vice versa?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Nick you are quite right about digital clocks - particularly in the London League.

Soheil >What would be the ruling for a player who recorded White move for black and vice versa?,

I don't understand, Do you mean put them down in the wrong columns? If so, that is not a problem. After all, semitic countries write from right to left. Just change the headings of the columns.
if you mean that the player of the White pieces recorded Black's moves and Black recorded White. Then I might consult a local psychologist.
But you may mean something else.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:01 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Soheil >What would be the ruling for a player who recorded White move for black and vice versa?,

I don't understand, Do you mean put them down in the wrong columns? If so, that is not a problem. After all, semitic countries write from right to left. Just change the headings of the columns.
if you mean that the player of the White pieces recorded Black's moves and Black recorded White. Then I might consult a local psychologist.
But you may mean something else.
No
One player who also recorded moves of both players, recorded them in wrong column from a certain move for the next some 20 moves, not from the start.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:13 pm

So he made a small mistake. i see no problem as I wrote already.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon May 13, 2019 2:51 am

Thanks
In a weakender, a player claims a clock bottoms have problems being pressed and released after having been flagged. His claim turns out to be right.
What would be the ruling? And when can a player claim? Within 10 moves or what?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon May 13, 2019 11:28 am

Soheil,
I presume you mean clock buttons.
He had to make his complaint DURING the game. I presume the arbiter did not notice any problems. 6.10.1 is the relevant article.

I hope the clock was investigated and, if defective, replaced.