Scoresheets

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Scoresheets

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Following on from a recent thread on scoresheets, I would like to ask if anyone knows of a supplier who can deliver club branded scoresheets.

Michael Farthing

Re: Scoresheets

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Following on from a recent thread on scoresheets, I would like to ask if anyone knows of a supplier who can deliver club branded scoresheets.

I got a quotation for this from a local printers a couple of years ago, but we have not followed it up. It was quite expensive, but that was mainly because we wanted duplicate scoresheets as our club keeps an archive of all our games.

The spec was "A5 2 part headed chess scoresheets (one printing colour) to our own design with artwork suppplied by ourselves" and the quotation was £93 for 500 and £104 for 1000 (exc VAT) so you can see that the run on cost is a fairly trivial part of the cost. As I remember the A5 size was a cutdown from much bigger supplied paper size, so were we to present an A4 sized piece of artwork consisting of two A5 designs for different clubs this would effectively half the cost. Indeed, this is still in the back of my mind as I harbour some ideas of reviving the defunct Morecambe Chess Congress.

However, I'm open to alternative business partners if you're interested, Paul, and would be happy to get a requote.

I did ask about having the club name in a different colour from the body of the scoresheet, but the cost is mainly in machine set-up time and this facility would require an extra printing stage - so the added cost seemed ridiculous for the (rather snobbish) benefit. Similarly, if we went into partnership we'd have to agree on the same colour ink.

[PS If a third or fourth club were to join in we'd probably be able to get even more savings. Anyone interested?]

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:07 pm

We have a club member who owns a printing business and would be pleased to advise on club scoresheets and provide a quotation. He prints scoresheets/scorebooks for several local clubs. Details in attached link:-

https://www.dawsonprintanddesign.co.uk/

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks, Neil. That looks great.

I think Richmond Juniors score-books would make great prizes!

I will bookmark this for now, having recently bought five thousand score-sheets, which is generally enough for about nine months of our current usage.

Just one more question, is your club member happy to do duplicate score-sheets, as in Michael Farthing's specification above?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
The spec was "A5 2 part headed chess scoresheets (one printing colour) to our own design with artwork suppplied by ourselves" and the quotation was £93 for 500 and £104 for 1000 (exc VAT) so you can see that the run on cost is a fairly trivial part of the cost. As I remember the A5 size was a cutdown from much bigger supplied paper size, so were we to present an A4 sized piece of artwork consisting of two A5 designs for different clubs this would effectively half the cost. Indeed, this is still in the back of my mind as I harbour some ideas of reviving the defunct Morecambe Chess Congress.

However, I'm open to alternative business partners if you're interested, Paul, and would be happy to get a requote.
Sounds like a good specification, Michael. Would Neil's printer be an alternative?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:25 am

I can see that might have advantages because they will understand the game requirements better. Just the logistics! The main question is whether you want duplicates or not?

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:07 am

The ones used in the British Championships are duplicates and branded with the tournament name. It may be worth contacting the ECF to find out who produces these.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am

In answer to the technical questions raised - I'm afraid I have no idea. I suggest anyone with queries rings Ric Dawson whose 'phone number is shown on the website link - you will find him approachable & helpful. My printing experience is limited to the "John Bull" set I received at Christmas several decades ago.