"Top players: You've never had it so good and you're no longer a bunch of nutters" John Watson

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Towers

"Top players: You've never had it so good and you're no longer a bunch of nutters" John Watson

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:41 pm

OK, paraphrasing slightly.

Ben Johnson does a frequent chess podcast on Youtube where he talks for about an hour to leading figures in the chess world. His latest was with author and IM John Watson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQkTuNnpDA8).

Starting at about the 14 minute mark John Watson said this -
Jon Watson wrote:The personalities at the top of chess are so much better because the financial burdens are less. First of all there's more money and more sponsorship and they can teach.

My generation [Watson elsewhere says he is 66] and before it (especially the one before it), there was so much pressure that it tended to - only the really neurotic types survived and they felt cheated by their lives. They could have done something else with their lives.

I don't think that's true anymore. I find the leading players when I talk to them are much saner and happier. There isn't the feeling you got in the old days of being a chessplayer as being an inferior enterprise.
Discuss, as they say.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: "Top players: You've never had it so good and you're no longer a bunch of nutters" John Watson

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:08 pm

I presume those remarks about the past apply to the USA/West in particular?

Chess masters weren't really regarded as "inferior" in the USSR and its satellites were they.....
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Re: "Top players: You've never had it so good and you're no longer a bunch of nutters" John Watson

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Tht's true. And we might aslo want to ask what we mean by "top players".
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com