Mobile phone ringing during a game.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Recently had a league match where an opponent’s mobile phone rang while he had a totally winning position. 2 moves away from forcing checkmate and the young student’s mobile ringer went off loudly. The player protested that he shouldn’t lose the game due it being checkmate. He was politely informed that technically the game was still in progress and thus this board is now lost (unless his opponent had insufficient material to win in which case it would be a draw)

This is a pretty drastic example of great timing by the device to snatch a win from the jaws of defeat. Any other interesting stories regarding mobile phone interruptions in matches?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Mobile phone ringing during a game.

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 pm

I was once arbiting at a congress and a player's mobile phone went off, so naturally I awarded the game to his opponent. As it happened, the opponent in question was wearing industrial-strength ear defenders and was thus the only player in the room who didn't hear the phone go off.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 pm
He was politely informed that technically the game was still in progress and thus this board is now lost (unless his opponent had insufficient material to win in which case it would be a draw)
This is not quite the case. Even if there is "insufficient material", or more accurately, the player cannot win by a series of legal moves, then it is still a loss. This is because the assumption is that the reason for the phone being there is to be used as a device to aid that player with cheating, and so the player may have cheated earlier in it; and so they should lose, rather than draw.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 pm

At one British Rapidplay Championship, a clubmate of mine mislaid his mobile phone. He was so concerned about it that he even got the organisers to make an announcement before the start of the next round, asking everyone to look out for it. Later, between rounds, he found he'd merely left it in his car and so, very relieved, put it straight in his pocket. During his next game - it went off. Ironically, it was his wife wanting to know how he was getting on in the chess tournament. "Well, honey, I had been leading my section...".

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:40 pm
This is because the assumption is that the reason for the phone being there is to be used as a device to aid that player with cheating, and so the player may have cheated earlier in it; and so they should lose, rather than draw.
Which is of course entirely stupid. I would say that a phone ringing is almost conclusive evidence that the player has not been cheating, since if he had been he would have taken the basic precaution of making sure that it didn't go off.

I still support the rule, because I remember the days before it was introduced, when it sometimes felt as though tournaments were taking place in an amusement arcade. In my opinion the rule belongs in the sections about distracting the opponent and generally causing a nuisance.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 pm

At the awful Dresden Olympiad, one of the African teams was billeted out in the suburbs and their second board cut his journey to the playing hall a bit fine. Something went wrong with the tram, so a couple of minutes after the starting time he phoned his top board to report that he would be in breach of the new zero tolerance regulations...
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:22 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 pm
Something went wrong with the tram, so a couple of minutes after the starting time he phoned his top board to report that he would be in breach of the new zero tolerance regulations...
Which one might also think is entirely stupid, since the top board would have been painfully aware of this transgression by that point. :oops: