Raymondo

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ola Winfridsson

Re: Raymondo

Post by Ola Winfridsson » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:28 am

First of all, I most humbly beg Leonard Barden's pardon for wrongly attributing the success of the Grand Prix series to RK (I seem to remember having read that somewhere).

Geoff: Of course my comparison with AH wasn't seriously intended in any way! I was just trying to say, by way of an example, that perhaps it's not particularly wise to indulge a rogue for too long. I don't know about you, but I see a clear pattern in RK's career and the fact that some of those who've consorted with him over the years may only have had themselves to blame, and consequently received their just deserts (a view that's been put forward a few times in this thread), is actually entirely beside the point.

Look at Fide; for nearly 30 years it's been plagued by corrupt officials at the very top, first Campomanes and then Ilyumzhinov (under whom it seems to have gotten even worse), neither of whom are exactly shining examples of rectitude. The whiff of scandal has tainted also Danish and Swedish chess circles within the last decade. It makes you wonder whether the chess world gets the people in charge it deserves.

Boxing used to be the laughing stock for having about eight world federations simultaneously and as many world champions in each weight class. There's actually a lot to be said for dull, but reasonably correct officials, and I think we can all agree that chess world gained a lot more in popularity (and a heightened status, better prize money and conditions etc) from Bobby Fischer's "antics" (for want of a better word) and Kasparov's flamboyant personality (not to mention his fantastic chess) than it did from the shambles of the dual World Championship cycle in the last 16 years, or the ludicruous new time controls introduced by Fide in the last 10 years.
Last edited by Ola Winfridsson on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:29 am

"And Ian Rogers is Australian, they speak funny, so you can see there was bound to
be a misunderstanding about payments there."

Rogers sounds quite normal, this is not ordering a Kebab in Glasgow my man!
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:32 am

Ola Winfridsson wrote:First of all, I most humbly beg Leonard Barden's pardon for wrongly attributing the success of the Grand Prix series to RK (I seem to remember having read that somewhere).

Geoff: Of course my comparison with AH wasn't seriously intended in any way! I was just trying to say, by way of an example, that perhaps it's not particularly wise to indulge a rogue for too long. I don't know about you, but I see a clear pattern in RK's career and the fact that some of those who've consorted with him have only get themselves to blame, and consequently received their just deserts (a view that's been put forward a few times in this thread), is actually entirely beside the point.

Look at Fide; for nearly 30 years it's been plagued by corrupt officials at the very top, first Campomanes and then Ilyumzhinov (under whom it seems to have gotten even worse), neither of whom are exactly shining examples of rectitude. The whiff of scandal has tainted also Danish and Swedish chess circles within the last decade. It makes you wonder whether the chess world gets the people in charge it deserves.

The boxing world used to be the laughing stock for having about eight world federations simultaneously and as many world champions in each weight class. There's actually a lot to be said for dull, but reasonably correct officials, and I think we can all agree that chess world gained a lot more in popularity (and a heightened status, better prize money and conditions etc) from Bobby Fischer's "antics" (for want of a better word) and Kasparov's flamboyant personality (not to mention his fantastic chess) than it did from the shambles of the dual World Championship cycle in the last 16 years, or the ludicruous new time controls introduced by Fide in the last 10 years.

Fairs to trying to defend the AH claim. To quote the Eagles Coach.

"He's got balls of steel, heart of a lion and the brain of a Dolphin"

Can we seriously try and prove a corrolation between Chess oganisation of any scale and the third riech

Ben
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:35 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote: Not to mention Tarquin Fintimlinbinwhinbimlin Bus Stop F'Tang F'Tang Ole Biscuit Barrel, of course :lol:
Strange you should mention Tarquin. His son is a currently active junior chess player.

Ola Winfridsson

Post by Ola Winfridsson » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:38 am

Ben Purton wrote:Can we seriously try and prove a corrolation between Chess oganisation of any scale and the third riech
Hehe, well, there's no denying that the current Fide president is considered by many to be a dictator, and there are claims that he's ordered contract killings of journalists.

And I believe vote rigging or the buying of votes was proved at the last Fide presidential election at the Olympiad in Turin 2006.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 am

Claims yes, but maybe in the same way people claimed Ray Lewis killed 2 people outside a nightclub. OJ his wife etc.

In all seriousness. Dictator maybe.....in terms of the word. But Dictator of chess federation is hardly a country nor superpower . So really....

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:37 pm

It is now time to bring this particular thread to a close and move onto something new please
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:45 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:It is now time to bring this particular thread to a close and move onto something new please
OK. I've had my fun on this one and anyway it appears the other lads have
run out of villians to compare RK with.

I love a good tactial stramash in a game of chess and I love (even more thses days)
a good rumble in the forums.

(I'm never serious. On the occassions I am I usually sign off with 'Geoff.')

Where to now?
Off to the grading section and tell them over 2000 players DO NOT get extra pieces
so get a life and stop worrying about grades.

Or to that Amercian site where the soundness of The Latvian is being questioned?

Then of course there is that site where some guy is claiming Anand is better than Fischer.

Hmmmmmm.... you know it's like giving a simultaneous display and I'm setting
traps on every board. (Notice board!).

OK. Off to see that Anand fan. Anand has a 6 move loss in his locker, I'll bring that up.

Chins Up.

Geoff

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:00 pm

I think we are pushing our luck on the slander front and so it's time to bring this to a close
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:45 pm

"I think we are pushing our luck on the slander front and so it's time to bring this to a close"

No, "slander" is spoken - "libel" is written, but you are right about the "pushing the luck" bit.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:What horrible background music. :?
It's lucky you only caught horrible music off one of Spam Sloan's websites (there might be an 'h' missing from that word).... :roll: