Phil Ehr

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Towers

Re: Phil Ehr

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm
This Donald Trump guy.

A lot of people seem to putting aside their differences to unite against him.

He will probably end up with the Nobel Peace Prize.
If he does it would make a pleasant change for a US president to receive the prize after doing something worthwhile rather than in anticipation and then have the world be deeply disappointed when he doesn't deliver.
Personally I'm not holding my breath.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 am

"If he does it would make a pleasant change for a US president to receive the prize after doing something worthwhile rather than in anticipation and then have the world be deeply disappointed when he doesn't deliver."

Nobel Peace Prize always seems to have been political, apart from going to Obama "for being elected", it has gone to people who say, "OK we have given up terrorist activities", and to people who have been badly treated by their government and when they have gained power, they have been ten times worse!

(slight edit for grammar.)
Last edited by Kevin Thurlow on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:48 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm
He will probably end up with the Nobel Peace Prize.
Trump should get it for being the first orange US president.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Phil responds to the Florida school shooting

https://twitter.com/philehr/status/964264321382535169

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Some further postings received from Phil Ehr:
Friends,

We all watched in horror as President Trump delivered his first State of the Union address to our country, calling his hateful group of followers and their alt right rhetoric the "New American Movement".

When was anti-immigration legislation the "New American Movement"?

When did highlighting only the very few successes of our economy become the "New American Movement"?

When did blaming immigrants and minorities become the "New American Movement"?

That is not the America I want and that is not the new movement I want to lead. Unlike my Republican incumbent, I see a very different and united movement taking place. I see my neighbors and friends frustrated with President Trump's vision of America, and I see a strong Democratic block opposing people like Matt Gaetz in 2018. Together, we can form a new movement of compassion, hope, and gratitude for the differences all of us represent to make this country great.

It all starts right here in Northwest Florida. Can you help lead a new movement and contribute to my campaign today? Together, let's create a movement that will make future generations proud.

Thank you for your support,

Phil

{{Paid for by Ehr for Congress}}

Ehr for Congress
PO Box 9813
Pensacola FL 32513 United States

What you said:

Would you explain . . .

Phil would you like to explain your recent change of party registration. You make a wonderful claim to vote at every election despite not being local but fail to mention as a Republican. So, your party switch is attributed to new philosophy or opportunity. We currently have a Republican in office and there for would have to wait until he loses office or switch parties. We deserve more than an opportunist.”

‑‑‑ Mickey Irizarry, Facebook, EHR for Congress, Feb. 2, 2018

Phil is a Proud Democrat

I became a Democrat because the Republican Party evolved into an organization that no longer places a priority on treating all people with dignity and respect, prioritizing special interests and favoring the One Percent over every day working class Americans. As a human being and a veteran, I could no longer be a part of a Party that tolerates the infiltration of the Alt-Right and nationalist movements and is reckless on national security issues. The Democratic Party has been right, on minority and women's rights, the environment, and national security.

Rep. Matt Gaetz sends alt-right to Trump's State of the Union

The Pensacola News Journal reported that Gaetz invited an infamous alt-right activist and racist internet troll, Chuck Johnston, to the State of the Union speech. PNJ reports that Johnson became known for running an online harassment campaign about the University of Virginia campus rape story plus was banned from Twitter for soliciting donations to “take out” a prominent Black Lives Matter activist. Additionally. Johnson is founder of a right-wing website.

Gaetz said he had no idea who Johnson was even though he gave him the ticket.

However, Politico reported even after Gaetz found out just how controversial Johnson was — the Capitol Police had flagged the name and called Gaetz to inquire about Johnson in a mysterious unrelated matter — the first-term congressman decided not to pull his ticket to President Trump’s speech. Gaetz said he was intrigued by Johnson.

--- Pensacola News Journal, “Gaetz draws fire for guest choice”, Feb. 2, 2018, p 3A, Politico, Why a Florida congressman invited a notorious alt-right troll to SOTU, Marc Caputo, Feb 1, 2018

"America is a tapestry of different races, faiths and backgrounds.”

--- Phil Ehr

Discover what Phil has to say in this video about the American Dream. Click on the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/EhrForFlorida1

Phil Celebrates Black History Month
Join Phil in DeFuniak Springs, for the Black History Parade on Feb. 17.
Walk with Phil in the parade and help collect candidate petitions at the festival that follows.

​Say you'll join Phil and sign up here:

http://EhrFL.us/u​

See You There!

Phil Ehr is a Candidate for Florida’s First Congressional District, Democrat, Challenging Rep. Matt Gaetz

He is asking for your support to help put him into Congress so that he can fight for Northwest Florida’s Quality of Life which includes the Beaches, Education and Military and Agricultural resources.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Get Involved with the Fight for Northwest Florida Today!

3,400 signatures are needed from registered voters in Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton and Holmes counties combined to put Phil on the ballot.

Paid For By EHR For Congress

www.ehrforcongress.com
Friends,

I hope 2018 is off to a great start!

By the end of our February deadline, we would like to raise $3,000 from donors who contribute under $25 to show Matt Gaetz that big money doesn’t belong in politics!

Will you help us by donating $20.18 towards our campaign efforts?

As a token of our appreciation for your generous contribution, we would like to send you two Ehr for Congress bumper stickers to help our campaign gain more recognition around Northwest Florida! If you're living in the district, you also have the option of receiving a yard sign!

Thank you for your continued support,

Phil

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Paid for by EHR for CONGRESS

Ehr for Congress
PO Box 9813
Pensacola FL 32513 United States

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:11 am

https://ballotpedia.org/Florida%27s_1st ... c_primary)

I'm not into US politics, but a little surprised. I'd anticipated Phil being successful in the primary, even if he had little hope of unseating the Republican incumbent in November.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 am

Julie Denning wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:11 am

I'm not into US politics, but a little surprised. I'd anticipated Phil being successful in the primary, even if he had little hope of unseating the Republican incumbent in November.
538 anticipated him being the nominee too in their election forecast.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm

From one of the election question responses by Jennifer Zimmerman who defeated Phil Ehr in that primary:
Jennifer Zimmerman wrote:My family rose up from humble beginnings with the guiding principle of Prayer and Work (Ora Et Labora). I am a self-made small business owner, physician and mother. I am the daughter of a WWII veteran and a POW. I have served this district for 2 decades.
Also compare the total number of votes in the Democrat primary (37,052) with the total in the Republican primary (100,562).

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:38 pm

Julie Denning wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:11 am

Evidently the people of Florida 1 are less gullible than ECF Council.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Oh that was long ago - it has a much more sensible membership now doesn't it, Nick? :-)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:16 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4817315330

was published after

"His opponent, Dr. Zimmerman, had a hiccup with a monthly federal filing deadline, and people that are known to be in his campaign jumped all over it today. It is kind of immature and below the dignity of the office, but pretty sure he either condones or participates in this type of behavior from his people."

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:10 am

David Sedgwick gets a namecheck
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Message received from Florida thanking the forum for useful info on Phil Ehr.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:27 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25 pm
Message received from Florida thanking the forum for useful info on Phil Ehr.
You mean this forum has joined Vladimir Putin in influencing the results of US elections???

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 pm

"You mean this forum has joined Vladimir Putin in influencing the results of US elections???"

Not perhaps in the same way - I am told that some Florida voters stumbled over the forum and found it interesting. I did urge my contact to treat it with some caution, as not everything on the forum is accurate! Think TripAdvisor and Wikipedia on acid.