Team Board Orders & Grades

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Neill Cooper

Re: Team Board Orders & Grades

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:04 pm
Those who spend time on preparation see their results improve and their grades go up. Those who do not prepare struggle to maintain their grades.

Is that so wrong?

I have probably prepared specifically for more games in the last two years than in the previous fifty years.
I do not normally do any game preparation, despite often knowing my opponent and game colour a few days in advance (at CCF Coulsdon). However, I now have my highest ever grade (188D) since I started playing chess in 1970.

Nick Grey

Re: Team Board Orders & Grades

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 pm

I cannot recall when we tied Martin Cath up in knots with the 10 point rule, but it was some time ago.

Anyway, one of my first ones after was with a captain that has departed - I have been up all night with the kids, I have had a stressful day at work, I'm playing on bottom board or not at all, ok we have not exchanged team lists, put your reserve on bottom board and move all the players up one board. I'm going home to get some sleep. Hopefully I'll be fresh for your first team match later in the week.

I agree with Kevin - these are the sort of circumstances a captain would have a quiet word with the opposition captain and an allowance would have been made. I'm very aware of the point, I was and still am on Surrey's disputes committee, as are Kevin and David. No allowances for serious illnesses, nor day to day issues.

Fortunately, we have a little luxury around 10 points in Surrey, a lot more in Thames Valley, and some in London League.

As for the County competition, I find it strange that in the U180 competition I can be paired against a player graded 60, even when other lower matches going on. But am aware it is in the rules. Sorry but it is also the reason why ECF should not tie up Counties with juniors and females and ages.

So yes been very difficult to prepare (my captain may have even been aware from his counter-part and not bothered to send me a text or call). I was very complementary after comparing with the last junior from that County I played recently (who is now in their open team) and a former junior that provides excellent commentary as well as being a strong player (IM).

That is not to say that under 100 players are not strong (they are just not as strong as some of the up and coming juniors that I have played in the past). And even the older under 100 is likely to be very experienced and played at a higher level in the past.

A bit too much made of the grading system. Then again I believe that my statistics background and my accountancy professional qualification and experience gives me a better insight into this than most.

I may well be an opponent that a 180+ player may not want to be paired against (other than Ken Inwood).