FIDE account closed

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: FIDE account closed

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 am
I'm assuming Jorge Vega and Zurab, for example, are Continental Presidents, not Zone Presidents? Are they EB members?
Yes. https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html ... ew=article

The only point I have been making is that the EB is broadly drawn from the same pool as the GA, and their voting is a good guide to how the GA will vote. I am stating that as an unsupported fact, and anyone who believes they know better is free to disagree.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 am
anyone who believes they know better is free to disagree.
That appears to include Kirsan, whose election machine is running in its previous manner, with the difference that he doesn't appear to have use of the FIDE website any longer.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am
That appears to include Kirsan, whose election machine is running in its previous manner, with the difference that he doesn't appear to have use of the FIDE website any longer.
As I have said, if you wish to back his judgement I shan't try to stop you. Bear in mind, though, that running for the Presidency can bring financial benefits unrelated to the prospect of actually winning.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:38 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:25 am
The only point I have been making is that the EB is broadly drawn from the same pool as the GA, and their voting is a good guide to how the GA will vote. I am stating that as an unsupported fact, and anyone who believes they know better is free to disagree.
What you actually said previously was:
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 pm
... the EB is dominated by the zones, who do in general represent the positions which would be voted by their constituent federations.
My point was and is that Zone Presidents don't have much idea what their constituent Federations think and that those Federations don't know who their Zone Presidents are.

I wouldn't claim to "know better", but I do disagree. You may be correct about the specific issue of the forthcoming FIDE Presidential election. More generally, however, I would suggest that the proportion of "FIDE establishment" figures on the Executive Board is far higher than in the General Assembly.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:38 am
More generally, however, I would suggest that the proportion of "FIDE establishment" figures on the Executive Board is far higher than in the General Assembly.
That is true, but I'm a practical chap and shall say one last time that the predictive power of an EB vote is too strong to be ignored.

The view on this forum is probably coloured by the fact that in Europe the zones have fallen into decay ( which I think is a shame ). Elsewhere, they can be cohesive units.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:38 am
those Federations don't know who their Zone Presidents are.
In the days of Zonal tournaments in Europe, you knew what the zones and sub-zones were because of the eligibility it gave to play in world championship eliminators. The last such in the UK and Ireland was run in Dublin over twenty years ago. Is there still a British Isles zone or sub-zone? Even if the UK and Ireland are/were part of Western Europe zone, does it still exist and who is the President?

FIDE insiders seemed mostly united in favour of Kirsan against the external challenges by Kok, Karpov and Kasparov. If they are now anti-Kirsan, don't they need to get their act together and establish a candidate either to be appointed later this year if Kirsan steps aside or to beat him in an election?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 am
If they are now anti-Kirsan, don't they need to get their act together and establish a candidate either to be appointed later this year if Kirsan steps aside or to beat him in an election?
If they haven't already thought of that, they need to bring you on board as an adviser.

On a matter of detail, if a President steps aside the vacancy is not filled until the next scheduled election. So in practice this would have no effect, except that his name would disappear from the notepaper, which seems to be what the banks want.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:28 am

All federations have been sent an email confirming that they should continue to use the FIDE bank account in the normal way until further notice. It seems that the language used in the notice on the website was unnecessarily alarmist.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:40 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am
On a matter of detail, if a President steps aside the vacancy is not filled until the next scheduled election. So in practice this would have no effect, except that his name would disappear from the notepaper, which seems to be what the banks want.
The stories on his personal website have him visiting places and acting as if he's FIDE President with full powers.

http://kirsan.today/en/reporting/item/2 ... visit.html

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:53 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:40 am
The stories on his personal website have him visiting places and acting as if he's FIDE President with full powers.
I'm sure he would be delighted to know that his holiday blog has at least one avid reader.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
On a matter of detail, if a President steps aside the vacancy is not filled until the next scheduled election.
Paris Congress 1995?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:32 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
On a matter of detail, if a President steps aside the vacancy is not filled until the next scheduled election.
Paris Congress 1995?
The Statutes have gone through some changes since then.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Ok, I have found a list of Zones
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:48 pm
At https://ratings.fide.com/fide_directory ... content=39 you will find a list of Zone Presidents.

I repeat my challenge to you and to everyone else. Wihout looking at the link, how many of them can you name?
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:59 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:48 pm
At https://ratings.fide.com/fide_directory ... content=39 you will find a list of Zone Presidents.

I repeat my challenge to you and to everyone else. Wihout looking at the link, how many of them can you name.
Having found the Zones, I'm pretty sure the answer is none :)

Having checked, then yes, should have got the Russian one, have heard of 3 others :oops:
Any postings on here represent my personal views