FIDE account closed

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: FIDE account closed

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:54 pm
Why do so few of the top players say nothing publicly about all this. If they refused on participate, wouldn't that be enough to remove him or do they just think about the money.
You're missing the point - how do you remove him? He has been stripped of his powers and will be voted out of office in October ( assuming he stands, which the Executive Board last year voted to ask him not to do ). Beyond that, what? An extra meeting of the General Assembly, before the one due in October, would be very difficuly to arrange.

I wonder how the ECF would handle a President who was a similar embarrassment.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm
Ask or persuade him to resign. There are two recent precedents. There was however one President who clung to office long after many people wanted him replaced and even saw off an election challenge.

Your belief that Kirsan will be replaced would have more credibility if he wasn't going through the usual re-election world tour that we've seen at least three times before. Perhaps some of the the FIDE establishment who didn't want Kok, Karpov or Kasparov as President now want him out.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:18 pm
Your belief that Kirsan will be replaced would have more credibility
Last year the Executive Board voted by nearly 2-1 to ask him not even to stand for re-election. Do you really think they are going to turn around and support him against the establishment candidate?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:56 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm
Do you really think they are going to turn around and support him against the establishment candidate?
It's not the Executive Board who hold the voting power, rather the numerous small Federations or more to the point their President or FIDE Delegate.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:56 pm
It's not the Executive Board who hold the voting power, rather the numerous small Federations or more to the point their President or FIDE Delegate.
No, the EB is dominated by the zones, who do in general represent the positions which would be voted by their constituent federations.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 pm

It's not a good advert for chess.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:53 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 pm
No, but the crimes of which the US Treasury accuses Kirsan are vague and unsubstantiated ( and also nothing to do with chess ). By contrast, the top management of FIFA stands accused of misdeeds which seems beyond doubt, but football survives and the 2022 World Cup is still set to take place in Qatar.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:53 am
MJMcCready wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 pm
No, but the crimes of which the US Treasury accuses Kirsan are vague and unsubstantiated ( and also nothing to do with chess ). By contrast, the top management of FIFA stands accused of misdeeds which seems beyond doubt, but football survives and the 2022 World Cup is still set to take place in Qatar.
Is that the top management of FIFA, or the recently deposed top management of FIFA?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Depends how significant you think replacing Blatter with Infantino actually is for the management practices of that organisation and its senior members.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Gavin Hughes

Post by Gavin Hughes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm

If he is not voted will Nun O T Above be voted in.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:58 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
As Roger de C has pointed out, that has happened twice in this decade. Both were gone within a few months of a consensus developing that that was necessary.

It might be more difficult in the future, now that we no longer have annual elections.

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:53 am
... the crimes of which the US Treasury accuses Kirsan are vague and unsubstantiated ( and also nothing to do with chess ).
That is why there is considerable residual support for Ilyumzhinov

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 pm
... the EB is dominated by the zones, who do in general represent the positions which would be voted by their constituent federations.
Really, Nick?

When did your Zone President last consult you about anything?

Without looking anything up on the FIDE website or elsewhere:

1. How many of the Presidents of the five American Zones can you name?

2. How many of the four elected EB members from the American Continent can you name?

I wonder how many members of this Forum could name any Zone President. Out of the 26, I knew three and correctly guessed one more.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:58 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
As Roger de C has pointed out, that has happened twice in this decade. Both were gone within a few months of a consensus developing that that was necessary
Certainly in the case of one of them this is a slightlier rosier account of events than I might offer.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
I wonder how many members of this Forum could name any Zone President. Out of the 26, I knew three and correctly guessed one more.
I could name three, but that was only because I know who the Presidents of the Canadian, US and Russian Chess Federations are, and I know that they are zones in their own right. I incorrectly guessed the President of the Small Nations zone.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 am

Gavin Hughes wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm
If he is not voted will Nun O T Above be voted in.
No.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Without looking anything up on the FIDE website or elsewhere:

1. How many of the Presidents of the five American Zones can you name?

2. How many of the four elected EB members from the American Continent can you name?

I don't suppose most of us know most of the, er, characters involved unless they do something out of the ordinary

I'm assuming Jorge Vega and Zurab, for example, are Continental Presidents, not Zone Presidents? Are they EB members?
Any postings on here represent my personal views