National Chess Day

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

National Chess Day

Post by David Blower » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm

A few years ago I seem to remember that the Midlands Chess Counties Union (MCCU) wanted to organise a National Chess Day with the idea that chess events would be going on up and down the country to promote chess and local chess clubs etc. Since then I have heard little about it.

Does such a day exist and if so when is it.

David Robertson

Re: National Chess Day

Post by David Robertson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:37 pm

David Blower wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm
A few years ago I seem to remember that the Midlands Chess Counties Union (MCCU) wanted to organise a National Chess Day with the idea that chess events would be going on up and down the country to promote chess and local chess clubs etc. Since then I have heard little about it.

Does such a day exist and if so when is it.
Wrong day to ask this question. Everyone is 'too loved up' to contemplate chess

Nick Grey

Re: National Chess Day

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm

I'm very loved up. She has said I've had a lovely Valentine's day. And I have let her have my desert because I said I had bought 2 for her and none for me. It is clear that some couples are playing chess tonight.

1st April may be best. Or the day set for County Finals or 1st Saturday of the British Championship.

Not the second Saturday in October which is the US National Chess day.

Though I do recollect issues with insurances, street licences amongst other things.

If ECF want to promote a particular day I think we would have heard about it by now. Or at the next election.