Consultation on the Draft FIDE Live Moves Broadcasting Policy

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Consultation on the Draft FIDE Live Moves Broadcasting Policy

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Chris Wardle wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 pm
Modified question: if you'd been watching the chessbomb coverage exclusively, would you have known that PhosAgro had anything to do with the event?
With co-operation from Agon, why would PhosAgro not have been mentioned? I do know who PhosAgro are, it's because I looked them up when it was first announced that they were one of the match sponsors.
Chris Wardle wrote:
Agon aren't going to make a video feed available to chess24. We can rule that out.
Why not? There's no disagreement that the video feed is Agon's. It wasn't chess24 who started feuds by trying to assert monopoly rights they only have in their imagination.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 pm

It's been a recurring problem that whilst there aren't the Agon claimed 600 million chess players queueing up to watch World Championships, there can be sufficient demand to overload servers not configured to cope.
Indeed one perfectly reason response to Agon is that according to them, there's more than half a billion potential viewers which is many many times more than enough to go around, so what have they got to complain about?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:44 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:45 pm
Indeed one perfectly reason response to Agon
Why are you talking about a response to Agon? They haven't asked for a response to anything and wouldn't read it if you sent one.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Because it wasn't a comment on the draft, but on the idea that Agon were getting a raw deal.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Who are you trying to convince? Agon's claims are purely rhetorical and everybody else knows that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:09 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Indeed one perfectly reason response to Agon is that according to them, there's more than half a billion potential viewers which is many many times more than enough to go around, so what have they got to complain about?
If by "perfectly reason" you mean perfectly snide and facetious.
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm
Chris Wardle wrote:
Modified question: if you'd been watching the chessbomb coverage exclusively, would you have known that PhosAgro had anything to do with the event?
With co-operation from Agon, why would PhosAgro not have been mentioned? I do know who PhosAgro are, it's because I looked them up when it was first announced that they were one of the match sponsors.
I didn't ask whether you know who they are. Clearly the answer is no, you wouldn't have known they had anything to do with the match. It's not information that any of the unofficial broadcasters would have thought to volunteer. Anyway, PhosAgro don't want to be mentioned. If they thought paying a TV host to say the name of their company would be good for their brand, they'd just pay a TV host to say the name of their company and dispense with all this chess business. It's the eyeball market they're after. They put their logo on the official video feed, Agon gets everyone to watch the official video feed, they pay Agon some money. The only "co-operation" that would show up on PhosAgro's radar is if Agon were proposing to licence out the video feed, but:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm
Chris Wardle wrote:
Agon aren't going to make a video feed available to chess24. We can rule that out.
Why not? There's no disagreement that the video feed is Agon's. It wasn't chess24 who started feuds by trying to assert monopoly rights they only have in their imagination.
...The fact that the video feed is unquestionably Agon's makes them more likely to just donate it to chess24 for no reason? No, I don't follow. Agon and chess24 are going to be very, very far apart in their valuation of that video feed, given that chess24 ran a successful show with no video feed, whereas Agon would be helping chess24 to undercut them. Let this idea go, it ain't gonna happen!
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Chris Wardle wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:09 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
If by "perfectly reason" you mean perfectly snide and facetious.
Facetious, certainly. As for the rest, if you want to take offence on Agon's part by all means do so.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 am

I did watch few of the post games interviews on youtube and I was surprised how often the interviewer Anastasiya Karlovich quoted Peter Svidler's live commentary.

It looks like even people working in an official capacity for Agon prefer watching the illegal alternative broadcasting of chess24 :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 am

Ha ha that hadn't occurred to me but yes.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:41 am

Apologies if I've come late to this debate, but is the Chess24 broadcast actually illegal? I didn't know that. I suspect it's the best; I cannot imagine any better pairing than Peter and Jan. They bring an unmatched combination of knowledge and humour to the table.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:58 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:41 am
Apologies if I've come late to this debate, but is the Chess24 broadcast actually illegal?
Depends who you ask.

If you ask Agon and their lawyers, yes.

If you ask Chess24 and their lawyers, and just about every court the case has been put before so far, no.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:58 am
If you ask Chess24 and their lawyers, and just about every court the case has been put before so far, no.
It's the title of this thread that Agon would like FIDE and national federations to enact sanctions against those using legal means to report on chess events.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 pm
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:58 am
It's the title of this thread that Agon would like FIDE and national federations to enact sanctions against those using legal means to report on chess events.
We've been round this loop several times. The sanctions are nothing to do with the legality of what the broadcasters are doing. FIDE will also sanction you if you use legal means to text your Grandmaster friend for help during a game. There is no reference to illegal behaviour in the document. Agon's private opinion on whether Chess24 are doing something illegal, is irrelevant.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Chris Wardle wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:33 pm
FIDE will also sanction you if you use legal means to text your Grandmaster friend for help during a game.
On the precedent of the Millionaire "coughing Major" case, that might already be illegal. "Pecuniary advantage by deception" was the charge if I recall correctly.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:08 pm

First time I've been free to watch the games live today, and its interesting how much worse the official site is for coverage then Chess24.