Dutch defence

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jon Mahony

Re: Dutch defence

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:22 pm

I had quite a bit of success with the Dutch in the minor and intermediate sections - I used to tweak the move order slightly by responding to 1.d4 with 1... e6 and hope for a transposition into a French with 2.e4 (something most QP players don’t usually oblige you with) and then if 2.c4 or 2.Nf3 just 2… f5 then. The move order avoids the sharp 2.Bg5 as well - which you really need to know what you’re doing as black (I liked it from the white side).

2.Nf3 gives black a pretty comfortable game straight away, the knight doesn’t always belong on f3 in a lot of variations and believe it or not is better on h3 - a lot of opponents in the minor are London / Colle players, so you will get this move a lot - White will be hoping for 2...d5 next, getting them into familiar turf.

Of course the downside of 1...e6 is you will have to be prepared for the occasional French transposition.

If you find books hard work get hold of Simon Williams’ “Killer Dutch” DVD, it’s pretty in-depth and got me started playing the opening.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:22 pm
I had quite a bit of success with the Dutch in the minor and intermediate sections - I used to tweak the move order slightly by responding to 1.d4 with 1... e6 and hope for a transposition into a French with 2.e4 (something most QP players don’t usually oblige you with) and then if 2.c4 or 2.Nf3 just 2… f5 then. The move order avoids the sharp 2.Bg5 as well - which you really need to know what you’re doing as black (I liked it from the white side).

2.Nf3 gives black a pretty comfortable game straight away...
Thought I must have been going wrong somewhere.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:30 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:

Lol well you only outgrade me by 100 points :D
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:46 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:30 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:

Lol well you only outgrade me by 100 points :D
Means nothing when i’m playing against the Dutch ;)

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
2.Nf3 gives black a pretty comfortable game straight away, the knight doesn’t always belong on f3 in a lot of variations and believe it or not is better on h3 - a lot of opponents in the minor are London / Colle players, so you will get this move a lot - White will be hoping for 2...d5 next, getting them into familiar turf.
It is not quite that simple; if you play the "normal" stuff against 2. Nf3 f5 3. Bf4 then white gets a easy game to play; I had this position last year in the 4NCL and my position was quite uncomfortable for a while but scrapped a fortunate draw out of it

Gary Senior

Post by Gary Senior » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:46 pm

After d4 e6 e4 you also have the option of b6 if you don’t know the French.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:10 pm

After e4, b6 is very good, as it transposes into the Owen's Defence.
I have played this a number of times and have taken a number of big scalps, including our former Blackpool and Fylde League Chairman, John Cooper.
There is also an offbeat line where Black can castle on the queenside if white commits his king to early.
There is a book by the French Grandmaster Christian Bauer called play 1...b6 which came out in 2005.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 pm

There is an excellent book by Neil McDonald
Starting Out: The Dutch Defence.
I have the 2004 Edition. I find the Starting Out series of books very informative and ideal for the average club player.
The book features The Sonewall, Leningrad and Classical.
There is also a piece on the Staunton Gambit.
These books not just explain the theory but also gives you hints and tips.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:23 am

A game in which you played the Dutch Defence Robert.

Paul Robert Jackson