America want the World Title Match

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Goodall

Re: America want the World Title Match

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:17 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:42 am
This of course is everybody reporting that everybody else has reported a rumour.
I agree. We should start a counter-rumour that anonymous sponsors are looking to increase the London prize fund to £2m.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 am

Chris Wardle wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Then the chess world would receive a salutary lesson in why elite chess events need to pay for themselves and not depend on the generosity of petro-dictators seeking good PR. Of which there will always be an abundance.
Not just chess though. Why are the next two football World Cups in Russia and Qatar?

If chess was using the Sky Sports model, Agon would be attempting to sell the video and live commentary rights to chess24, chess.com etc. These in turn would use their coverage of the world championship to help gain and retain subscriptions to their other services. Attempting to build a world audience person by person just isn't going to get there.

The likes of the Grand Chess Tour who offer a similar product to the Candidates and World Championship are more interested in as wide a coverage as possible, therefore work with, rather than against the established chess sites who can deliver an audience. That pretty much applies to most other elite events, particularly those commonly known by the name of their principal sponsor.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:02 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 am
The likes of the Grand Chess Tour who offer a similar product to the Candidates and World Championship are more interested in as wide a coverage as possible, therefore work with, rather than against the established chess sites who can deliver an audience. That pretty much applies to most other elite events, particularly those commonly known by the name of their principal sponsor.
It's not a similar product. There's only one World Championship cycle and every chess player wants the prize at the end of it. The Grand Chess Tour could disappear next year and other events would pop up to take its place. You're talking about the difference between the World Cup and international friendlies.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Gary Senior

Post by Gary Senior » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Does anyone know the proposed London venue for the match?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:24 pm

Gary Senior wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:43 pm
Does anyone know the proposed London venue for the match?
None who have stated where in public.