Toilet facilities

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Zigmond

Re: Toilet facilities

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:51 pm

At Blackpool the minor section played in an upstairs suite which was served by a set of toilets but the ladies was out of order. This meant that any female player would need to go along a lengthy corridor and down the stairs to the main lobby. At the start of the congress the arbiter announced that any female player needing to answer a call of nature could stop the clocks to do so which I thought was quite reasonable. Personally I expect to have to make comfort stops in my own time (obviously I wouldn't go when I was on move but if my opponent moved in the meantime so be it) and wouldn't make the allowance for my opponent except in exceptional circumstances.

I have seen plenty of examples of ladies taking over the gents at predominantly female events (non chess obviously) so it does work both ways. But organisers should ensure that female players are not put to a great inconvenience.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:51 pm
At Blackpool the minor section played in an upstairs suite which was served by a set of toilets but the ladies was out of order. This meant that any female player would need to go along a lengthy corridor and down the stairs to the main lobby. At the start of the congress the arbiter announced that any female player needing to answer a call of nature could stop the clocks to do so which I thought was quite reasonable.
I would "hijack" the gents for the ladies, and make the gents go along the corridor and down the stairs. Normalise the residuals.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Michael Farthing

Re: Toliet facilities

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm
Michael Farthing wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:35 pm
I've even been known to start my opponent's clock late because he was taking photographs of the other boards..

I did ask in return that there should be a photograph of me, but he didn't oblige :-(
Oops! Sorry. Here's one I took later: https://brendanogorman.smugmug.com/Ches ... -nMsNNM8/A
Hmm..
++ Like the shirt (as it happens, I'm wearing it at the moment). Truran will no doubt be contemptuous as usual.
++ Nice bemused facial expression
-- Desperately need a shave.
-- What messy hair!

Move on 10 pictures or so and you can get a view of my favourite diva.

Cheers Brendan!

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Truran will no doubt be contemptuous as usual
And, I think you will agree, rightly so when you see my most recent acquisition, which I will endeavour to wheel out at Council if you behave yourself.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Julie Denning wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:18 pm
the door opened out strode as fine a specimen of able-bodied manhood as one might expect to find anywhere - and, of course, the first thing I had to do on entering was to put the seat back down!
Are you going to name names or leave us to guess?!

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Julie Denning wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:18 pm
When the door opened out strode as fine a specimen of able-bodied manhood
It's when the 'manhood' is no longer able-bodied that the problems really arise. And the pissing about has to stop

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 pm

I attended a performance of 'The Vagina Monologues' at Richmond Theatre. There were 5 men in the audience of about 500. In the interval I was the last man to leave the toilet. There was a long queue for the ladies. So, I suggested they use the gents as well and I would stand guard, repelling all boarders.
That worked perfectly well.
Surely you adjust to circumstances and people should cooperate with each other.
One important duty of the organiser is to ensure, in advance, that the toilet facilities are satisfactory for everybody. It was unfortunate, at the 4NCL last weekend, that so many facilities were out of action.