Unfortunate start and end to county match

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: Unfortunate start and end to county match

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:38 pm

I've locked this topic for now. Remind me to reopen it on Saturday.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:44 am

The appeals committee has now met. Feel free to discuss this topic again!

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:55 am

There has been some discussion on the MCCU thread since this one was locked.

The Disputes Committee of the MCCU met yesterday and as a result the match was awarded 12-0 to County B as named in the opening post which in this case was Nottinghamshire.

I understand that the decision will be posted on the MCCU Website shortly.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:59 am

County B has won a famous victory without playing a single move. Congratulations, this is what English chess is all about.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:19 pm

This sort of problem can be avoided in the future by ensuring all u120 matches are played blindfold.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:50 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:59 am
County B has won a famous victory without playing a single move. Congratulations, this is what English chess is all about.
The message is clear: when in doubt, refuse to play chess. You've got more chance of getting your own way by doing that than by sitting down and making the best of it.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Every team captain should invest in Paper Chess: Create Your Own Chess Set with a Detachable Board and 2 Full Sets of Punch-out Pieces. From our very own John Saunders

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:14 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Wardle wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:50 pm
The message is clear: when in doubt, refuse to play chess. You've got more chance of getting your own way by doing that than by sitting down and making the best of it.
Surely it's a question of where you draw the line here. If County A had failed to bring any clocks, would you expect County B to play without clocks?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:26 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:14 pm
Surely it's a question of where you draw the line here. If County A had failed to bring any clocks, would you expect County B to play without clocks?
No, not without clocks. But if it's possible to draw lines to make pretty good replica chess boards...?

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:35 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Wardle wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:50 pm
No. Because the clock is more essential to the gameplay than the board is. Though I would try to compromise by having a member of County A go and get the clocks while the rest of the games got underway and, when they returned, give two-thirds of the remaining time to County B and one-third to County A. The whole result might be overturned later by the appeal committee, but who cares, we came to play chess.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:51 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:26 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
No, not without clocks. But if it's possible to draw lines to make pretty good replica chess boards...?
:lol:

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:17 am

I'd say a board was more essential to the gameplay than the clock. The former is needed for the actual play of the game, the latter merely to ensure that the game is played at a reasonable speed.

(Obviously, both are needed for serious competition.)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a set of rules specifying minimum standards for equipment for club or county level matches where one team is required to provide it.

If, for example, the home players had produced pocket chess sets they'd brought with them could the away team then have refused to play? If there's a minimum acceptable board and piece size for competitive play, what is it?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 am

Normally I think of myself as someone who is very cavalier about rules and very ready to ignore minor irregularities so it's interesting to find myself rather out of sympathy with the majority here. Probably I would have accepted the paper boards because a day of travel with no chess would have been far worse - but it does strike me as totally unacceptable for the home side to have done this and defaulting them will have at least made them see this.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:09 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 am
but it does strike me as totally unacceptable for the home side to have done this and defaulting them will have at least made them see this.
I don't imagine they got together on the morning of the match and thought "eh, let's forget to bring the boards, that'll be acceptable".