setting up a Social Chess club

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Reyes

setting up a Social Chess club

Post by John Reyes » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

just wonder if any of you people, can help

my mate have set up an chess club in the heart of Manchester, and it been going for over 18 months now.
but the question is that, how do we spread the word etc, to get people in?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Re: setting up a Social Chess club

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm
Ask the ECF for £ 5,000 perhaps?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:20 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm
just wonder if any of you people, can help

my mate have set up an chess club in the heart of Manchester, and it been going for over 18 months now.
Facebook can be surprisingly useful; I got more enquiries through there than I do the club website. Word of mouth as well; if five people come regularly give them a `mission` to bring a friend with them.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Well now, if we knew the answer to that we'd be millionaires.

I've bought this book. I shall read it and tell you the answer soon.

If you're going to ask the ECF for £5,000, be sure to include the words "feminist", "diverse" and "central" in your proposal. They don't have to mean anything, they just have to make the ECF look bad in the press release that you'll produce if your request is denied. You could throw "democratic", "fair-trade" and "organic" in there too.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Flyers at Manchester/Stockport congresses. Notice on the Manchester Chess website. Create a website. Flyers at some of these: http://www.manchestersfinest.com/shoppi ... anchester/

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:03 pm

The first question must surely be to define 'social chess club' . Is it just more sociable and relaxed than a normal club? Is it a gateway for potentially getting people off the internet and into face to face chess and then proper competition. The marketing needs to be directed at the audience, and may not be effective if limited to conventional chess methods. Existing 'club' members who play on -line might like to flag the club up on their site, either in personal profile or by writing a plug. But you do need to be clear about objectives to inform the publicity. [ I've seen how club welcome juniors, can be interpreted as junior chess club to the disadvantage of all]

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:34 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:03 pm
The first question must surely be to define 'social chess club'
Easily done: crap chess for pissheads

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 pm

If you're going to ask the ECF for £5,000, be sure to include the words "feminist", "diverse" and "central" in your proposal. They don't have to mean anything, they just have to make the ECF look bad in the press release that you'll produce if your request is denied. You could throw "democratic", "fair-trade" and "organic" in there too.
we do have females at the club, as well as diverse (hey I'm Chilien) and it is at the central of Manchester

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:56 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 pm

we do have females at the club, as well as diverse (hey I'm Chilien) and it is at the central of Manchester
My point is that having greater than zero women doesn't make an organisation feminist. That's not what that word means. But I feel it's a distinction that's lost on most people.
David Robertson wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:34 pm
J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:03 pm
The first question must surely be to define 'social chess club'
Easily done: crap chess for pissheads
Everyone thinks the people worse than themselves are playing crap chess. There are people who think you play crap chess. Most of them have more class than to wrap it up in casual classism.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:56 pm
Everyone thinks the people worse than themselves are playing crap chess. There are people who think you play crap chess. Most of them have more class than to wrap it up in casual classism.
Otherwise known as a joke

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:56 pm
Otherwise known as a joke
You learn more about a person from what makes them laugh than from what they claim to take seriously.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:39 pm

You also learn much about a person who takes offence at a joke when none was offered, who fails to give people the benefit of doubt, who quickly makes accusations based on the flimsiest of information... :roll:

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm

What doubt? He has a history, on this forum and on facebook, of sneering at young people, old people, state-educated people, and everything outside a 10 mile radius of his own club.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm
What doubt? He has a history, on this forum and on facebook, of sneering at young people, old people, state-educated people, and everything outside a 10 mile radius of his own club
It goes without saying, I have no such history - as the evidential record amply confirms. Never mind

John Reyes

Re: Setting up a Social Chess club

Post by John Reyes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:20 pm

the whole point is to support Face to face chess in a social area and also to support a market, that don't want to play evening chess