Chess in the community: library chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Townsend

Chess in the community: library chess

Post by John Townsend » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Library chess is a good way to attract new players to the game because they can meet opponents and try it without any commitment.

Jon Lloyd has an initiative going with Bracknell Forest Council. He is currently promoting chess free at Crowthorne Library, 4 - 5 pm every Thursday; and also free at Bracknell Library, 1.30 - 3.30 pm every Friday.

In addition, he will be promoting Bracknell Chess Club outside Bracknell Library, 10am - 3pm this Saturday 23rd June. He will have chess sets with him and will take on all-comers. There should be other members of the club there too.

Neill Cooper

Re: Chess in the community: library chess

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Library chess is quite popular in Surrey. See https://www.scca.co.uk/lib/lib.html

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am

Yes, I see Surrey has an enlightened view of library chess. Back in Berkshire, there was a group at Woodley Library a few years ago, where I dropped in once and got a decent game. I don't know if it's still going.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Before lockdown, Fleetwood library in Lancashire had a thriving social chess club with up to 12 members attending.
I visited it a few times and had games.
The standard of play was mixed but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was provided with a free cup of tea and even a biscuit on one occasion.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:18 pm

Jon Lloyd has been doing an excellent job with library chess in Bracknell, so I was very disappointed to hear today that Chess in Schools and Communities will no longer sponsor the library chess at Bracknell, and it will fold, from tomorrow, it seems.

I don't understand the funding issues, but I thought the chess community was about to benefit from a significant amount of government funding, so you would expect there to be more support for library chess, not less. This sounds like a step backwards.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:38 pm

John

What does the sponsorship consist of as far as Bracknell is concerned ? I'm aware of library initiatives in Bucks, but don't think they are sponsored by CSC.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:15 pm

It is a great initiative and popular. https://mannchess.org.uk/YNotices/2023- ... yChess.htm.
HDCA President

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:41 am

Thanks for the Yorkshire gen, Stephen.

I see JTM's question. I don't have the details of the arrangement, but I understand that it was a sponsorship by Chess in Schools and Communities.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:11 pm

John

I just felt that without a bit more context it was difficult to comment in an informed way. It would not be unreasonable for a sponsor organisation to review funding priorities, or to have agreed a time limited support. Your post criticises CSC even though you admit to not knowing what the arrangements for funding/ support from CSC have been.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:09 pm

I said at the outset that I didn't understand the funding issues, but don't see why that should bar me from expressing my opinion. As the sessions at the library were of much benefit to the local chess community, I don't understand why it was brought to an abrupt end. As I said, the government funding should mean more library chess, not less.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:32 pm

You are obviously free to express an opinion, but personally I'd seek a proper understanding before voicing a criticism of this type. The post suggests CSC are responsible for the end of library chess in Bracknell. I find that unlikely.

I have no issue with supporting the case for library chess, but I can also accept that CSC and government funds might also be directed elsewhere.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:17 pm

The message I received informed me that Chess in Schools and Communities would no longer sponsor the library chess club, so it will fold "from tomorrow."

JTM suggests that the abrupt closure of library chess in Bracknell has come about for some other reason(s). What makes him think that?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:45 pm

John

What you originally wrote acknowledged that you didn't understand the basis of the funding relationship, nor I assume the need for it, such that other bodies cannot step in. The evidence you have offered doesn't seem sufficient to satisfy me that CSC are wholly to blame. Was there no notice period or are CSC announcing such funding reductions elsewhere at short notice? (and that would be a bigger story). But you may well have information that forum readers are not party to. I think this is probably exhausted now.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:31 pm

John Townsend wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:09 pm
I said at the outset that I didn't understand the funding issues, but don't see why that should bar me from expressing my opinion. As the sessions at the library were of much benefit to the local chess community, I don't understand why it was brought to an abrupt end. As I said, the government funding should mean more library chess, not less.
Why?

The Government is funding 100 outdoor chess tables, plus support for elite and junior chess

You might well think that library chess would be a better avenue for funding than, say, quarter of a million on chess tables, but that's not what is actually happening
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:19 pm

I feel obliged to post because if I lived any closer to Crowthorne library my kitchen cupboards would be Dewey Decimal.

The are some details on the Bracknell Forest library chess here: https://health.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/ ... eck-mates/. Some structured coaching rather than just social chess, as for example at the Pinewood Centre, Crowthorne on Thursday evenings.