Chess For Heffalumps

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
IanCalvert

Chess For Heffalumps

Post by IanCalvert » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 am

If Tigers try to maximise the probability of winning as in Simon Webb's popular classic Chess for Tigers then I guess it is natural to assume Heffalumps try to maximise the probability of not losing.

Chess for Tigers and Your Opponent is Overrated by J Schuyler, Everyman,2016 include useful guidance about playing like a Tiger. Schuyler also points to World Champions such as Lasker and Carlsen. Are there other such books for players looking to improve their Tigerish play?

However my main questions are about the lack of guidance in the chess literature for playing like a Heffalump. Perhaps one should look to the play of T. Petrosian and Ulf Andersson? Any ideas welcome.
Last edited by IanCalvert on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Towers

Re: Chess For Heffalumps

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:44 am

Prophylaxis
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 am

The answer lies within yourself only. Analysis of your own reasons for playing and to what extent your play is in accordance with them will give you the most defining aspects of your play. There's nothing wrong with playing to avoid losing if that's what you want. You don't have to play for a win if you don''t want to, the simple pleasure of playing is enough for many.

The most important player to study is yourself.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Maybe generations of English Heffalumpish- chess players will be inspired by the English blunder free football performance against Belgium on Thursday??

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:47 pm

After that consolation goal by Panama hard to see them keeping a clean sheet on Thurs.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:41 pm

I also have the book Chess for Tigers 2005 Edition
by Simon Webb
A most excellent book.
Did Simon Webb not release other books based on animals?