Who is our next Adams?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Gavin Hughes

Who is our next Adams?

Post by Gavin Hughes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Mickey has been our strongest GM for the last 20 years. Any current juniors looking like taking on the mantle?

NickFaulks

Re: Who is our next Adams?

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Gavin Hughes wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 pm
Mickey has been our strongest GM for the last 20 years. Any current juniors looking like taking on the mantle?
As has been noted, you have to go down to Shreyas Royal. Very early days indeed and there's many a slip, but he is good.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 pm

There are lots of talented 13-16 year olds so do not give up on them. Nor too much pressure.
There is a keen 6 yo Cornish champion - unfortunately not registered to play for the minor counties quarterfinal - my default win.
I had the pleasure of playing a young lady from Essex in the U180s this season. She is going to be the next Eliott Cocks or Lawrence Trent. I was very complementary about her play and tenacity.

Gavin Hughes

Post by Gavin Hughes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 pm
I had the pleasure of playing a young lady from Essex in the U180s this season. She is going to be the next Eliott Cocks or Lawrence Trent. I was very complementary about her play and tenacity.
Like Elliot she is from Chelmsford and that was Olga Latypova who is under 10.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am

Andy Horton and Joseph McPhillips could be the future!!
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:35 am

John Reyes wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am
Andy Horton and Joseph McPhillips could be the future!!
They probably are, and we are right to celebrate their successes, but Mickey was younger than they are now when he broke into the world top 20.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

It is rather funny how Shreyas Royal gets all the attention. He is an enormous talent, of course, but I would also name Nishchal Thatte and Verma Schlok in the same age category. If you want to go very young, I would suggest Patrick Damodaran, started playing tournaments at the age of four, now a veteran aged five has given up on the Richmond Rapidplays Under 80 section as being too easy and now plays in the Under 120 section. There are many very talented older children of current primary school and secondary school age in English chess, several of whom I would happily wager will become grandmasters.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:55 am

"There are many very talented older children of current primary school and secondary school age in English chess, several of whom I would happily wager will become grandmasters."

Breaking a habit here, but I agree totally with the first bit, maybe more cautiously with the second bit... There will also be a few plodding along now who will suddenly improve dramatically.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:55 am
There will also be a few plodding along now who will suddenly improve dramatically.
True, but we have drifted away from the title of the thread. The "plodders" can be highly talented and even get as far as a GM title, which is a huge achievement and hopefully very satisfying, but they don't go on to be among the top players of their generation. Like it or not, those guys are star performers from a very early age.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:26 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 am
Like it or not, those guys are star performers from a very early age.
There's only ever been a relative handful of players who have been strong enough to face the decision at 18 as to whether to interrupt their chess career to go to university. Tony Miles was perhaps the first to plump for chess, but only after one year. Short, Conquest, Adams, Sadler and Jones followed suit. Hodgson, McShane and Howell took the time out for university, in Howell's case about three years later than if he'd started immediately. Whilst others pursued a title during a gap year, many didn't reach GM until shortly after university. Hartston, Keene, Stean, Nunn, Speelman and Mestel were already at university or set on that course before the professional option became available.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm

So how do other countries support (or not) those facing that choice (which is a difficult one)? There are some who chose chess as a way to make a living even though they likely knew they would not reach the very top. Some examples that spring to mind (all took very different approaches and faced different circumstances!) are King, Arkell, Gormally, Williams (apologies if any of these would prefer not to be used as examples!). You could also include Conquest and Emms. Maybe even Pein and Trent! (if you want to look at IMs as well) :D The number of ways people make livings from chess is in many ways amazingly diverse.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm
So how do other countries support (or not) those facing that choice (which is a difficult one)? There are some who chose chess as a way to make a living even though they likely knew they would not reach the very top. Some examples that spring to mind (all took very different approaches and faced different circumstances!) are King, Arkell, Gormally, Williams (apologies if any of these would prefer not to be used as examples!). You could also include Conquest and Emms. Maybe even Pein and Trent! (if you want to look at IMs as well) :D The number of ways people make livings from chess is in many ways amazingly diverse.
Hebden also.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 am

"Like it or not, those guys are star performers from a very early age."

I more or less agree, but there are exceptions. It seems Lasker didn't even learn to play until he was 11 years old!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:03 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 am
I more or less agree, but there are exceptions. It seems Lasker didn't even learn to play until he was 11 years old!
You don't have to go back that far. Speelman and Nunn hit the top 100 at 23/4 and went on to spend time at the highest level.

I don't think you can do that now. All but one of today's top 20 hit the top 100 before their 21st birthday, nearly all in their teens. Having said that, Sam Shankland has put on a remarkable spurt in the past year, so we shall have to see whether he is a genuine exception.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:03 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 am
... Speelman and Nunn hit the top 100 at 23/4 and went on to spend time at the highest level.

Nick

At the risk of being , off your topic, great as Mickey and Jon Speelman are and have been for years, the more I browse Nunn's later works I can't help wondering whether Nunn may be seen by history as the Philidor of English chess?

Your thoughts valued as always.