London chess classic

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak

Re: London chess classic

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 pm
Is the British Knockout Championship taking place or not? It started in 2015, and took place in 2016 and 2017 as well. But not this year, it seems. Should the assumption be that it is not taking place?
When has the British Knockout Championship been announced in the past, relative to the announcement of the Festival?

Perhaps you can look that up, and then consider what assumption you should make?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:34 pm
Is the British Knockout Championship taking place or not? It started in 2015, and took place in 2016 and 2017 as well. But not this year, it seems. Should the assumption be that it is not taking place?
When has the British Knockout Championship been announced in the past, relative to the announcement of the Festival?

Perhaps you can look that up, and then consider what assumption you should make?
That is a little bit unfair, Alex. Lawrence Cooper said earlier in the thread: "I would guess at the open being much the same and Adams in the British K/O (if the event is taking place)." I had actually forgotten all about the British K/O and it was only when Loz mentioned it that I wondered what was happening about it. I don't think it is unreasonable to have thought that if it was going ahead that it would be announced at the same time. Not everyone keeps tabs on the exact dates events were announced. And it was Loz who first said "if the event is taking place".

Since you gave a hint (maybe there are reasons you can't say anything explicitly yourself), the announcement last year is here (21 November 2017). I won't bother to look up the previous years, but if the implication here is that negotiations may be ongoing for the event this year, then I will switch from making assumptions and will instead wait and see.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:41 pm
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:34 pm

That is a little bit unfair, Alex. Lawrence Cooper said earlier in the thread: "I would guess at the open being much the same and Adams in the British K/O (if the event is taking place)." I had actually forgotten all about the British K/O and it was only when Loz mentioned it that I wondered what was happening about it. I don't think it is unreasonable to have thought that if it was going ahead that it would be announced at the same time. Not everyone keeps tabs on the exact dates events were announced. And it was Loz who first said "if the event is taking place".

Since you gave a hint (maybe there are reasons you can't say anything explicitly yourself), the announcement last year is here (21 November 2017). I won't bother to look up the previous years, but if the implication here is that negotiations may be ongoing for the event this year, then I will switch from making assumptions and will instead wait and see.
It was not designed to be unfair, so apologies if you took it that way. It was my attempt to lead a horse to water...

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:37 pm
It was not designed to be unfair, so apologies if you took it that way. It was my attempt to lead a horse to water...
OK. Thanks for explaining. Time to watch the chess!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Well, if it is to go ahead, and under the same format, they will need to decide the qualifying tournament rather soon, surely.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:50 pm
Well, if it is to go ahead, and under the same format, they will need to decide the qualifying tournament rather soon, surely.
4NCL international congress, presumably? (incidentally a far more satisfactory format for a qualifying event than the 5 round tournaments used previously)*.

Leaves the way free for MikeT to come out of near retirement and clear up at Witney at the same time ;)

*of course this partly assumes, quite possibly incorrectly, that “qualifying places” are a design feature of the tournament, as opposed to the consequence of unavailability of likely invitees. Certainly last year there was a bit of an “at the last minute” impression given by the late announcement of a qualifying place. Put it this way, if Adams, Howell, Short, Jones, McShane, Sadler, Hawkins (?) and, of course, Rowson, were available and wanted to play, then i’m not sure that wouldn’t be the line-up.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:23 pm

Perhaps so, though why "of course Rowson", who lost all three matches so far, some of them quite one-sidedly, and not very surprisingly either, given his inactivity and the strength of the field?

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:23 pm
Perhaps so, though why "of course Rowson", who lost all three matches so far, some of them quite one-sidedly, and not very surprisingly either, given his inactivity and the strength of the field?
Being the Scottish number 1 is a good reason in a "British Knockout". Aside from that, he is the British no.9 behind John Nunn; i wonder if he would wish to play?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:43 pm

he is the British number nine in much the same way that Gata Kamsky remained world number three for a number of years. His first game against Sadler last year indicates the extent of the gap nowadays. And I'd be surprised if Malcolm regards him as a fixture because he is Scottish.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:23 pm
Put it this way, if Adams, Howell, Short, Jones, McShane, Sadler, Hawkins (?) and, of course, Rowson, were available and wanted to play, then i’m not sure that wouldn’t be the line-up.
You might want the Olympiad team, and select Nick Pert (especially if Nigel is unavailable as FIDE President by then)

Or be creative, and pick one or more of Ghasi, Adair, Fernandez, Haria, Merry etc
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:23 pm
Being the Scottish number 1 is a good reason in a "British Knockout". Aside from that, he is the British no.9 behind John Nunn; i wonder if he would wish to play?
Matthew Turner would be an alternative
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes, Matt is almost certainly the strongest Scottish player today. But then, I struggle to believe that Scottish affiliation is really Malcom's reason for constantly inviting Rowson.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Do you have an alternate theory?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:47 pm

No. I only know that I don't really understand it. I'd actually be curious to see whether Rowson would win a qualifier event, if put to it.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 pm

I doubt he would even enter a qualifier, which underlines that he perhaps doesn't deserve an automatic place. I would personally rather see active players rewarded.