London chess classic

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Grey

Re: London chess classic

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 pm

It is important to note that the London Chess Classic is a week later than 2017. So if looking for cheap accommodation you may want to try the accommodation vacated by university students. Plenty of offers in the local area of budget accommodation that many visitors sign up to.

Anyone entering to win a grading prize will have to put up with the requirements against fide rating.
Seems that a lot of people have problems with grading prizes and how they are awarded and each organiser is different.
And the August revision to ECF 2018 had not been issued yesterday.

I'm still bitter that my fide grade was established in one of those get yourself a fide rating tournaments scoring 0.5/3 against two Jones brothers and their father was not great. My ECF was around 165/175 at that time.

Not sure that I want to play a County game at the U160 level on the 8th december followed by 9 or 10 games of chess. Particularly if the south western rail dispute continues to mess up travel.

But also a reminder for me to follow up free/reduced entry with the organisers as I am signed up to the CSC 4NCL squad.

I have booked one week leave as it seems my employers want me to work between Christmas & New Year and now time off January 2019.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 pm
I'm still bitter that my fide grade was established in one of those get yourself a fide rating tournaments
Why? You entered the tournament in order to get a realistic initial rating and that was the outcome.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:32 pm

I'll try to fill the gap between Nick Grey's and Nick Faulks' comments -

I played in the same CCF "Get me a rating" tournament, held in Aug.-Sep. 2007, as Nick G.

Nick was unrated - but was the highest graded player at 156A (1800-1850 approx?) and scored 8/11 (+7,=2,-2) and got an initial rating of 1758.

As Nick said, above, his initial rating was based on a loss to young W. Jones rated 2019 (grade 147A), a draw with his younger brother V. Jones rated 1789 (148A) (the loss to their father, L. Jones, did not count for rating as he was unrated * NOT SO, see the next post *) plus wins over the other 2 FIDE-rated players, both with ratings of 1697 acquired in the previous "Get me a rating" tournament, see below.

Was that something to regret or was it realistic?

I'd suggest that it was both - realistic based on the rating and grading performances, but regretable due to only scoring a loss and draw against the highest-graded players, the Jones bros. (* And, Nick's only other loss - the one against their father - and his only other draw.*)

I had also played in the CCF "Get me a rating" tournament held in Apr. 2007, which Nick did not and that might also be a source of regret for him for the following reasons...

The two tournaments had the same format (11-round all-play-alls with one round per day).

In April 2007 the 4 FIDE-rated players, in the 12 player start list, were rated (graded) -

2193 (grade 190A), 2135 (169A) , 2027(139D) and 1946 (120A) (no juniors)

which is significantly higher than the 4 FIDE-rated players in the tournament commencing Aug. 2007...

The unrated player (graded 160) who scored 8/11 (+6,=4,-1) in April got an initial rating of 1908.

Nick G would probably have had better prospects of a higher initial rating if he'd entered the April event instead of the August one.
Last edited by John McKenna on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:51 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:32 pm
I'll try to fill the gap between Nick Grey's and Nick Faulks' comments
Sorry, John, but your post is based on a serious misconception. The Coulsdon events were rated as round-robins, with all games counting.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks for that prompt reply and the correction, Nick, which I humbly accept as being a true statement of the facts.

All games counting for rating makes it even more likely that Nick Grey would have probably had more chance of a higher initial rating in the April event than in the August one since the average rating performance by the unrateds was higher (1673 approx.) in April than (1594 approx.) in August 2007.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:31 pm

"All games counting for rating makes it even more likely that Nick Grey would have probably had more chance of a higher initial rating in the April event than in the August one since the average rating performance by the unrateds was higher (1673 approx.) in April than (1594 approx.) in August 2007."

C'est la vie.

I got a low initial rating from 2 events then had a really good tournament. I wish I had missed the second event!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for the reminiscing. All 3 of you are gents & really enthusiastic about chess and hopefully we will get to play a round robin of games this season.
I have enjoyed our games and our chats.

I cannot check my own rating progress on fide as it looks like I have to register on what seems to be a very dodgy site (is it under cyber attack or money laundering)?

I was reminiscing with my diabetes Nurse today on how long I have been a diabetic. It was when I had a craving for coke at a Jessie Gilbert tournament & threw up all over the sets and everyone in the coffee area at CCF. I thought a number of us were going down with some tropical virus.

It will be great to see you during the season, maybe at the Surrey Chess Congress, and also if you can the London Chess Classic. That is the one week where I'm not booking any fixtures for Kingston.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Nick G, I've sent you a PM. John M.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:26 am

Nigel White wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:54 pm
Also there is now information directly on the LCC website, to be found when clicking on the Festival Events tab. The information found here is a hybrid mix of that shown on the entry form and the T&Cs, but not consistently one or the other. Anyway I've now emailed them asking for clarification.
It is a week since I emailed the London Chess Classic pointing out various inconsistencies between the web page, the entry form and the terms and conditions document. I've not yet received a reply. However, I've noticed that changes have been made to all three, so that there is now more consistency, but a small number of variations remain:

(i) The web page now has the weekender starting at 1830 on Friday 14 December. So only the entry form still says 1630.
(ii) The entry form has been changed to show prizes in the FIDE Open down to 10th place (12th before).
(iii) The rating prize for U2050 previously shown in the T&Cs has been removed.
(iv) The value of FIDE Open ratings prizes has been increased on the web pages and T&C's to match those shown on the entry form.
(v) The value of the 2nd & 3rd place prizes in the five day tournaments have been increased in the T&Cs to match those shown on the entry form, but they remain lower on the web page.
(vi) The T&Cs now have enhanced prizes for the weekend tournaments matching those originally shown on the entry form and web page.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am

Nigel White wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:26 am

It is a week since I emailed the London Chess Classic pointing out various inconsistencies between the web page, the entry form and the terms and conditions document. I've not yet received a reply.
Within a few minutes of posting this I did receive a reply to my email!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:47 am

Nigel White wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am
Nigel White wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:26 am

It is a week since I emailed the London Chess Classic pointing out various inconsistencies between the web page, the entry form and the terms and conditions document. I've not yet received a reply.
Within a few minutes of posting this I did receive a reply to my email!
To be clear, the reason Nigel didn't get a reply sooner was my fault - I read the forwarded email to me that built on what Nigel wrote, but I failed to realise that that email asked me to reply to it. :oops:

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 am

"18.9.18 - We are pleased to announce that two qualifying places for the 2018 British Knockout Championship, to be staged at the London Chess Classic from 9th – 16th December inclusive, will be made available to the players finishing first and second in the Open section at the 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress at Park Inn Telford, Wed 31 October - Sun 4 November."

http://www.4ncl.co.uk/

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 am
"18.9.18 - We are pleased to announce that two qualifying places for the 2018 British Knockout Championship, to be staged at the London Chess Classic from 9th – 16th December inclusive, will be made available to the players finishing first and second in the Open section at the 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress at Park Inn Telford, Wed 31 October - Sun 4 November."

Open to all, or limited to British players?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:32 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 am

Open to all, or limited to British players?
Seemingly the top two regardless of nationality. No mention of any restrictions or players below second place being considered.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 am

Two places, eh? Either they have been listening to the crowds about Rowson, or Short and Malcolm have unaccountably fallen out over something or other.