Raymond Keene new site

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Raymond Keene new site

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:09 am

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 pm

I confess to having taken only a cursory look at the Companies House information but I'm inclined to agree that, to put it politely, the information there raises more questions than it answers. Justin has discussed what the Brains Trust does with its money and I was just as interested to find where it actually gets its money from. The answer appears to be through voluntary donations - there's no obligation to reveal actual names in the accounts - rather than public money and I guess that donors have an absolute choice to decide which projects to support. Maybe these donors know what they are doing although I suspect - and can understand why - Justin doubts this.

Having said all that, the Charities Commissioners get quite upset over instances of abuse of charitable status. They are not hard to contact.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 pm
The answer appears to be through voluntary donations - there's no obligation to reveal actual names in the accounts - rather than public money
That's generally true of charities though, by and large, no?
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Having said all that, the Charities Commissioners get quite upset over instances of abuse of charitable status. They are not hard to contact.
Harder than you might think. Ever seen the online form?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:45 am

Anyway for some light relief here's Ray doing 600 million.

(Of course both Malcolm and Nigel have form in this respect.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:49 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
The answer appears to be through voluntary donations - there's no obligation to reveal actual names in the accounts - rather than public money

Not necessarily. Some are funded, or partially funded, through government departments or the national lottery for example.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:49 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:

Not necessarily. Some are funded, or partially funded, through government departments or the national lottery for example.
I would replace the word "Some" with "Most". The search for funding is a significant part of a paid charity worker's job. And there's a good incentive for doing that part of the work. Oh - and it's a magic model for Government and Local Authorities - they don't need to employ anyone at all and so never need to make anyone redundant. Just cancel the funding to the charity and the charity does all the sackings. Works a treat!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am

Here is Ray in a typical modest mood telling us once more about his greatness :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djLghXwMI1U :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Actually, this is Ray extolling (for the most part) the virtues of someone else which, it has to be said, isn't the commonest of occurrences.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Not at all, he does it all the time. Very big on flattery.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:22 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:29 pm
Actually, this is Ray extolling (for the most part) the virtues of someone else which, it has to be said, isn't the commonest of occurrences.

Don't forget the OBE whatever you do.

Perhaps we will see more videos of Ray extolling the virtues of Tony Buzzan ?

Perhaps TB will reciprocate ?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:07 am

"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 am

2018 Brain Trust accounts are out, with the listed grants all going to Ray, Tony and Ray and Tony's friends.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am

I have no views on its objectivity but here's what can be found by a google search on one of the recipients of the Brains Trust largesse.

Professor Michael A Crawford

Imperial College, London. Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition. Department of Cancer and Surgery, Division of Reproductive Physiology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Chelsea and Westminster H
Web URL:
Visit the IBCHN website here

Research Interests:
Professor Crawford has been the Director of the Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition since 1990. Having worked in the East-end of London on maternal nutrition and health with Newham, the Homerton and Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children, he is now at Reproductive Physiology at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Campus of Imperial College, London. His special interest lies is in the role that lipids and essential fatty acids play in interacting with the cellular signalling systems, i.e. the key interaction between nutrition affecting membrane lipids and gene expression.
He has published over 300 peer reviewed papers and 3 books. Amongst his several honours and prizes, he was elected by his peers to the Hall of Fame at the Royal Society of Medicine in 2010. He collaborates in research internationally and is much in demand as a lecturer worldwide.
From 1960-65 Professor Crawford was at the Makerere Medical School in Kampala, Uganda, during which time he studied the nutritional factors linked to endomyocardial fibrosis, which was common there. He also offered a nutritional explanation as to why the incidence of bladder cancer was different in different parts of East Africa. In 1963 he was one of the founders of the Medical College at Muhimbili Hospital in Dar-es-Salaam. He retained his research group at Makerere until 1972, when the position became impossible.
At the Nuffield Institute of Comparative Medicine (1965-89) Professor Crawford equipped and computerised his laboratory to engage in lipid nutrition and showed that deprivation of the essential fatty acids used for the brain’s structure and function resulted in loss of brain cell number in the third generation. In 1972 Crawford and Sinclair published the first description of the dependence of the brain on arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acids and drew attention to the evolutionary implications. Crawford also demonstrated clear evidence of maternal nutrition being a causative factor in low birthweight and complications or prematurity.

Professor Crawford has been awarded the CHEVREUL medal in 2015 for his outstanding contribution to the identification of DHA as an important determinant in the evolution of the human brain and its fundamental role in brain growth and development.

For more details of Michaels work, and his tireless campaign to improve mental health and wellbeing by improving nutrition of the mother, see
The Mother and Child Foundation

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi Roger. Have a look at the Institute's web page and tell me what you think. If you're unsure about anything, try the contact page, or maybe get in touch with the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital where it claims to be located. Or perhaps check out Crawford and Thabet at the Gifted Academy and see what kind of an impression you form of these people.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Oh, since we're discussing Ray's chessgames.com page I was amused to notice this:
2009 Working on initiative with Prof Michael Crawford of the Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition to develop a national and global programme to combat the effects of mental degeneration in the populace , which currently costs the UK economy alone £77,000,000,000 per annum.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com