Raymond Keene new site

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Raymond Keene new site

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Talking of copyright, his selection of ten best games repeats an old sin of his which is to reproduce his old notes, but not say where they were originally published. I believe that numbers 3, 6, 9 and 10 for instance are from the BCM, and my source credits 7 and 8 to Informator. (Oddly he does credit the BCM for game 4 where the notes are not his, and game 5 in passing. But Ray always does things by halves.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi Justin,

I know you are just going to love the irony in this. I spotted it at chessgames.com a few days ago.

http://www.chessreference.com/StauntonC ... /01-19.JPG

The London Illustrated News, January 1861.

Howard Staunton replying to a reader R.K. (!) who sent him in a problem.

"R.K. - The problem you have sent as original has been published a dozen times at least since it first appeared, four hundred years ago."

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 am

In the second edition of his book on Tony Buzan (2017), Raymond Keene is still describing himself as "the Chairman of the English Chess Association."

Some years ago, I enquired about the Association on this Forum (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6117), but facts proved hard to find. So I should like to ask again now: who are the Association's officers and members, and what are its activities?

Many thanks.

O.G. Urcan

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 am

O.G. Urcan wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 am
So I should like to ask again now: who are the Association's officers and members, and what are its activities?
I don't think there's anything that can be added to the earlier thread.

His notes to games are recycled from those written decades earlier, the same principle may well apply to notes about the author on the back of books.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:22 am

O.G. Urcan wrote:
In the second edition of his book on Tony Buzan (2017), Raymond Keene is still describing himself as "the Chairman of the English Chess Association."

Some years ago, I enquired about the Association on this Forum (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6117), but facts proved hard to find. So I should like to ask again now: who are the Association's officers and members, and what are its activities?

Many thanks.

O.G. Urcan
Some years ago you seemed quite incapable of understanding the simple answer that there aren't any. There are no officers, no members and no activities. Even googling it largely turns up articles from Kingpin, Edward Winter etc (and a link on the Basildon Chess Club page that goes to the ECF website). It is a name on some notepaper, nothing more.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:22 am
O.G. Urcan wrote:

Many thanks.

O.G. Urcan
Some years ago you seemed quite incapable of understanding the simple answer that there aren't any. There are no officers, no members and no activities. Even googling it largely turns up articles from Kingpin, Edward Winter etc (and a link on the Basildon Chess Club page that goes to the ECF website). It is a name on some notepaper, nothing more.
It's possible Andrew that it's you who is incapable of understanding, and that the purpose of the question was to demonstrate the answer that you've just given.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:39 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 am

It's possible Andrew that it's you who is incapable of understanding, and that the purpose of the question was to demonstrate the answer that you've just given.
Possible but on this occasion I doubt it.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Do you have any particular reason for saying so?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:06 pm

If Mr Urcan knows full well that the English Chess Association does not exist in any meaningful shape and form what would be the point of repeatedly posting on an unofficial forum to `demonstrate an answer`.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:06 pm
If Mr Urcan knows full well that the English Chess Association does not exist in any meaningful shape and form what would be the point of repeatedly posting on an unofficial forum to `demonstrate an answer`.
Being based in Singapore, perhaps he's looking for local knowledge.

If the English Chess Association still exists, even if only in the form of a Simpsons lunch club, it keeps an extremely low profile. It is not however in Ray's most recent claims to fame on his new website.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
what would be the point of repeatedly posting on an unofficial forum to `demonstrate an answer`
Irony, dear boy, irony. It is Keene who repeats the claim - in 2017

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:37 pm

'Professor' Frederick Trowman-Rose has a Linkedin page stating he is Chairman at the Commonwealth Development Trust.
Chairman
Commonwealth Development Trust
May 2008 – Present 10 years 5 months

The Commonwealth Development Trust aims to offer practical aid programmes to the smaller countries in the British Commonwealth. Programmes include: education, health, environment and social and economic development.
Sounds impressive?

However...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history

...reveals that it is a dormant (for a decade) company with no assets.

Not something I'd boast about.

However this profile page...

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stoc ... Id=3157494

...indicates his business activities are mainly in Florida Real Estate and Masonic Regalia.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
what would be the point of repeatedly posting on an unofficial forum to `demonstrate an answer`
Irony, dear boy, irony. It is Keene who repeats the claim - in 2017
It's a claim he's actually entitled to make and he's not the first person in history to tart up his CV with meaningless titles. Of course those of us who know there was only a brief attempt at an English Chess Association thirty years ago think he looks silly. By continuing to take the claim seriously (or at least giving the impression he does) Mr Urcan looks even sillier. Of course by attempting to tell him so I'll probably end up looking sillier still.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Why do people ask rhetorical questions?
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 pm
Of course by attempting to tell him so I'll probably end up looking sillier still.
Ain't that the truth.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 pm

More worryingly Trowman-Rose appears here

http://www.vitezirend.com/rovatok/hirek ... liverpool/
Following this Attila Babenyecz, Miklos Bartha, Dr Zsolt Bodnar, Csaba Horvath de Csapod, Eva Szakaly, Prof marques Frederick Trowman-Rose and Ilana Zsigmond de Lemheny were invested into our Order, who took their solemn Oath. On their behalf Dr vitez Zsolt Bodnar thanked the Order, promising future work for it. This was followed by appointments and awards which contained the appointment and award of vitez Szabolcs Losy de Visi as High Captain in the United Kingdom.
For the Vitezi Rend read this

https://forward.com/fast-forward/366234 ... 1-headline
What Is Vitézi Rend, The Ally Of The Nazis That Sebastian Gorka ‘Joined’
March 16, 2017 By Lily Bayer and Larry Cohler-Esses

The Hungarian group was established as a loyalist group by Admiral Miklos Horthy, who ruled Hungary as a staunch nationalist from 1920 to October 1944.

A self-confessed anti-Semite, Horthy imposed restrictive Jewish laws prior to World War II and collaborated with Hitler. His cooperation with the Nazi regime included the deportation of hundreds of thousands of Jews into Nazi hands.

The group’s mission emphasized not only loyalty to Hungary and nationalist ideas, but also an ideology of racial superiority. One of the original aims of the Vitézi Rend was to “ensure such might to the Hungarian race, which with tremendous power strikes every subversive state and anti-national movement,” Horthy said in a speech to new members in 1921.

The Quisling group to which Gorka, 46, purportedly belongs is a reconstitution of the original group on the State Department list, which was banned in Hungary until the fall of Communism in 1989.

His association with the group first arose when he was spotted wearing a medal issued by the group. He claimed he wore it as a tribute to his father.