Incorrect clock settings

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nigel White

Incorrect clock settings

Post by Nigel White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 am

This is a question for the arbiting experts.

Yesterday for the second time in my chess career I played a tournament game in which it became clear only in the later stages that the clock settings were incorrect. On both occasions it was a rapidplay game with a small increment.

The relevant rule is 6.10.2. "If during a game it is found that the setting of either or both clocks is incorrect, either player or the arbiter shall stop the chessclock immediately. The arbiter shall install the correct setting and adjust the times and move-counter, if necessary. He shall use his best judgement when determining the clock settings."

Yesterday, in a very long end game when both players had just a few seconds on their clock it was noticed that no time was being accumulated even when moves were being made very quickly. It transpired that the clock had be set for delay rather than increment. The arbiter offered to adjust the clock and give each player an extra couple of minutes to make up for lost time - which I believe was the correct decision. However, the lengthy delay while the arbiter was called and was working out what had happened, let alone the time that would be needed to adjust the clock settings, gave me an advantage of significant thinking time as I had the next move, so I offered a draw which my opponent accepted.

A similar situation occurred a few years ago, except on this occasion the clock had been incorrectly set to give no increment. I was less experienced then, so by the time I realised what was happening my flag had fallen and my opponent claimed the win. When explained to the arbiter, he ruled that the flag fall had ended the game and that no adjustment was possible. Is this correct?

Angus French

Re: Incorrect clock settings

Post by Angus French » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 am

It would be useful if digital clocks displayed the time control they were operating to.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:10 am

Angus French wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 am
It would be useful if digital clocks displayed the time control they were operating to.
Before the game starts, you can switch them off and on again. On DGT models this displays the setting. Some of the clocks have various flags and words that appear in a very small font. But it's part of arbiter competence, to ensure all the clocks are correctly programmed.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:29 am

Nigel White wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 am

The relevant rule is 6.10.2. "If during a game it is found that the setting of either or both clocks is incorrect, either player or the arbiter shall stop the chessclock immediately. The arbiter shall install the correct setting and adjust the times and move-counter, if necessary. He shall use his best judgement when determining the clock settings."

I've just realised that there are special rules applying to rapidplay. Specifically rule A4.1.1. says "no change can be made to the clock setting, unless the schedule of the event would be adversely affected".

So does this mean the arbiter yesterday was incorrect in offering to adjust the clock settings? I'm confused by A4.1.1 - why does it not preclude adding extra time for an illegal move?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:36 am

Players shouldn't mess with the clocks because they may accidently change the settings!

Is the problem related to a particular make or version of clock?

Was it a DGT Easy Plus, DGT 2010 or something different?

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:46 am

Michael Flatt wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:36 am

Is the problem related to a particular make or version of clock?

Was it a DGT Easy Plus, DGT 2010 or something different?
I think yesterday was a DGT 3000; on the previous occasion a DGT 2010. I realise that if you look closely at these models you can deduce something about the settings. These days, I try to check before each game, but with quick turnaround between rounds it's easy to forget.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:23 pm

It is really down to the arbiter at the event to ensure that clocks are correctly set at the start of the competition and reset at the start of each round.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:23 pm
It is really down to the arbiter at the event to ensure that clocks are correctly set at the start of the competition and reset at the start of each round.
That's understood - but I would still like to know what is the correct procedure when you discover towards the end of a game that the clocks have not been set to the specified time control.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Nigel White wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:29 am
I've just realised that there are special rules applying to rapidplay. Specifically rule A4.1.1. says "no change can be made to the clock setting, unless the schedule of the event would be adversely affected".
I doubt that A4.1.1 was intended to say what it does. Also it has to be read in conjunction with the rest of A4.1.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Stop the clocks and call the Arbiter.

With DGT 2010 clocks, the display changes at the point when the time falls below 20 minutes - instead of hours and minutes it shows minutes and seconds. At this point the players have the opportunity to notice that the expected increment is missing.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:50 pm
At this point the players have the opportunity to notice that the expected increment is missing.
I think this was more subtle with delay switched on instead of increment. If you never moved faster than the additional time, I don't think you would be able to tell. On DGTs "delay" is implemented by adding time, but it never goes above <lowest previous time> + <amount of delay> .

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
Stop the clocks and call the Arbiter.
That is what I have done on both occasions. However, I've had different rulings (albeit in slightly different circumstances) and wish to know which is correct.
Michael Flatt wrote:

With DGT 2010 clocks, the display changes at the point when the time falls below 20 minutes - instead of hours and minutes it shows minutes and seconds. At this point the players have the opportunity to notice that the expected increment is missing.
I would contend unless you have a prior reason to consider there is a problem, in practice you are unlikely to notice the absence of a small increment until the time remaining becomes very short.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Nigel White wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 am
A similar situation occurred a few years ago, except on this occasion the clock had been incorrectly set to give no increment. I was less experienced then, so by the time I realised what was happening my flag had fallen and my opponent claimed the win. When explained to the arbiter, he ruled that the flag fall had ended the game and that no adjustment was possible. Is this correct?
Yes.

Certain events preemptively end the game - checkmate, stalemate, 5 fold repetition, 75 moves without a capture or pawn move, resignation, draw agreed and finally flag fall. Once one of these events occur the game is over.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:27 pm

I've checked out this query on my DGT 2010.

Setting Clock Mode
When setting the clock, it is quite a significant error in mistaking 'delay' for ''Fischer increments' as they are associated with different clock programs (i.e. modes). The mode number appears in the display when the clock is turned on and is difficult to miss.

Anyone familiar with setting digital clocks should not make this mistake. If they do, it is most likely that all the clocks will be incorrect, rather than just one.

The Clock Display
The display does provide information to the player:
(i) When using 'Fischer increments' the word 'bonus' appears at the bottom of each window. On the clock press the increment is added.
(ii) When using 'delay' the word 'delay' appears at the bottom of each window. It flashes on and off until the end of the delay period when it then displays continuously. On the clock press the appropriate time increment is added. A player cannot accumulate time above that which he started the move.

Digital clocks have become so widespread that most players should be comfortable in using them.
If in doubt talk to the arbiter.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm clear the rules also apply to acting match captains or those that can set up clocks.
I found it quite pleasurable setting a DGT 2010 for Kingston v Guildford match on a crowded tube journey.
Also at the U160 match at Cheam when the two Surrey Captains stood down when Essex were going to be 2 players short. It also gave us plenty of time to reset some clocks which were last used with a differential setting without increments in County matches. A get out by guillotine issue.
I have more than enough experience of faulty analogue clocks.
As per Michael's note.
Also I have added time to digital clocks when it has been clear of the error in previous seasons.