Irritating habits of juniors -a brief list

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jon Mahony

Re: Irritating habits of juniors -a brief list

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:35 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am
I also once had a kid who was playing on with a loan king and 2 pawns against my Q and about 5 pawns, repeatedly announce stalemate (it wasn’t he had pawn moves) at the top of his voice :roll:
Did he return it to its owner after the game? :wink:

Did the loaned King come from a pawn shop ?
:lol: Cheers guys, was skiving at work, didn't notice the auto correct - though I suppose the whole statement was wrong as it wasn't a lone king with 2 pawns!
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:21 am
Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:18 am
Restlessness. Nervous Energy. Boredom. Very rarely cheating.
You may be right, but how can you possibly be so sure?
You can never be sure, but in the majority of games where those behaviours are displayed i dont lose the game.

R G Edwards

Post by R G Edwards » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Interesting comments from everyone.

I should append that a few years back I played in a big tournament in the US and the behaviour of the junior players there was very different. It was a pleasure to play them. I found myself wondering whether it's a cultural thing.

Incidentally, I have given some thought as to why juniors look at you when it's your move. I concluded there are two reasons.

Firstly, since children have relatively little experience of reading non-verbal clues in others, when they do try to look for 'tells' it is very poorly nuanced. An adult does not need to employ such a crude method as staring at someone's face because he or she is much more finely attuned to others' mental states. The second reason is that most adults know that to look a stranger in the eyes for too long communicates either aggression or desire, and to communicate these falsely is a potentially dangerous action. Children do not yet understand this.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:21 am
Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:18 am
Restlessness. Nervous Energy. Boredom. Very rarely cheating.
You may be right, but how can you possibly be so sure?
You can never be sure, but in the majority of games where those behaviours are displayed i dont lose the game.
Not good enough.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:19 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:08 pm
Not good enough.
I am sorry. Zero tolerance it is - lifetime ban for a fidget upwards

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:19 pm
I am sorry. Zero tolerance it is - lifetime ban for a fidget upwards
Many chess professionals fear, with some evidence, that their livelihood is potentially threatened by technology based cheating. You think they are clueless idiots whose views should be ignored. Your informed opinion is noted.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:33 pm

You could potentially analyse those behaviours in such a way as to investigate the hypothesis in general. "Do people generally score lower TPRs against sets of opponents exhibiting those behaviours than against sets of opponents not doing so?"

(The trouble is that even if you show such a result, it's unclear whether such behaviour is evidence of cheating, or merely distracting.)

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 pm
Many chess professionals fear, with some evidence, that their livelihood is potentially threatened by technology based cheating. You think they are clueless idiots whose views should be ignored. Your informed opinion is noted.
Please dont put words in my mouth in your tiresome histrionic tone.

Sure, there is a very real threat in professional chess because there are large prizes and prestige that players will risk cheating for.
At our level in Div 3/4 of the 4ncl i think its exceptionally rare. Yet, as you said - your paranoia is affecting your play.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:44 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:33 pm
(The trouble is that even if you show such a result, it's unclear whether such behaviour is evidence of cheating, or merely distracting.)
Also, in practice how would you collect the data?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:06 am

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm
Sure, there is a very real threat in professional chess because there are large prizes and prestige that players will risk cheating for.
I am pleased to read that. From your previous posts I suspected that you thought the opposite. I fear that in most sports unpleasant habits which gain a grip at higher levels do make their way down.
At our level in Div 3/4 of the 4ncl i think its exceptionally rare.
But your only basis for that belief is that ( you think ) it has never happened to you. I wonder whether you would maintain that view if it were proved that one of your opponents had in fact been cheating.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:07 am

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 pm
At our level in Div 3/4 of the 4ncl i think its exceptionally rare. Yet, as you said - your paranoia is affecting your play.
Nick,

I had referred to a 4NCL game in which my opponent had, after every move, headed straight out of the playing hall into a busy area full of people on laptops, returning to bang out the best response in a highly complicated position. Having already been victimised by one player who was subsequently unmasked as a cheater, i could not help wondering whether the same thing might be happening again.

Do you still maintain that this is merely evidence of my own mental illness?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am

Nick you ought to have referred the second situation to the arbiter whilst it was happening.
At the Surrey chess congress there were a number of juniors, and from my viewpoint their behaviour was impeccable.

What I do not like is parents following their little ones games on a tablet.
I think you are a bit more paranoid than the rest of us.

As for constant toilet visits I had a record nine runny number 2s yesterday & twice did not make it to the toilet.
I expect that was good planning to envisage that I was not going to be able to play chess last night despite being needed for a 1st team match.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Probably no need to care and share this Nick to be honest.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am
Nick you ought to have referred the second situation to the arbiter whilst it was happening.
At the Surrey chess congress there were a number of juniors, and from my viewpoint their behaviour was impeccable.

What I do not like is parents following their little ones games on a tablet.
I think you are a bit more paranoid than the rest of us.

As for constant toilet visits I had a record nine runny number 2s yesterday & twice did not make it to the toilet.
I expect that was good planning to envisage that I was not going to be able to play chess last night despite being needed for a 1st team match.
Weakness on the back rank