Round 1 pairing rules

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Round 1 pairing rules

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 pm

In a tournament under FIDE pairing rules, specifically those that float the median, would the person in the middle of the rankings who might otherwise get the pairing allocated full point bye, not get a bye if they had an elective half point bye scheduled for later in the tournament?

[edit] Under FIDE rules, It's the lowest ranked player who get the bye. It's CAA rules often used for unrated English weekenders that are the median floaters. [/edit]

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Round 1 pairing rules

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:10 pm

<sound of crickets>

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:42 pm

FIDE pairing rules don't care about elective byes, in the future or the past, when allocating full point byes.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:21 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:42 pm
FIDE pairing rules don't care about elective byes, in the future or the past, when allocating full point byes.
Ain't that the truth.
I once had a player take a first round bye, later come and tell me something had come up and he was going to have go home early and miss the last round get very upset indeed when Swiss Manager [not me, honest guv. All I did was click the mouse button] gave him the one point bye in the penultimate round.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:23 am

Brian Towers wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:21 pm
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:42 pm
Ain't that the truth.
I once had a player take a first round bye, later come and tell me something had come up and he was going to have go home early and miss the last round get very upset indeed when Swiss Manager [not me, honest guv. All I did was click the mouse button] gave him the one point bye in the penultimate round.
Swiss-Manager might reasonably point out it wasn't it, either - it uses JaVaFo, which is what was given to it by FIDE to ensure correct pairings according to the rules.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:34 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:23 am
Swiss-Manager might reasonably point out it wasn't it, either - it uses JaVaFo, which is what was given to it by FIDE to ensure correct pairings according to the rules.
There appears to have been a lengthy discussion about pairing allocated byes in Batumi.
http://pairings.fide.com/images/stories ... inutes.pdf

I don't know that anyone uses the Dubov system in the UK, but the document also raises some drawbacks to the system. It attempts to average out the ratings of the fields played by players of the same score, but appears in practice to favour the top seeds by giving them "easy" opposition.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:07 pm

I do try and take account of elective byes at tournaments, mainly standard congress events, but sometimes it escapes my attention.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!