British Rapidplay Entry Requirements

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Burrows

British Rapidplay Entry Requirements

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:04 pm

I entered the major section of the upcoming British Rapidplay. Both the entry form: http://www.british-rapidplay.org.uk/201 ... ay2018.pdf and website: http://www.british-rapidplay.org.uk/2018site/index.html clearly state that the entry requirements are:
1) FIDE Rapid 2) FIDE std 3) ECF Rapidplay grades A to D take precedence as in the order given. However, International, National, Local Gradings and recent British Rapidplay results may also be considered at our discretion. Players without a grade MUST give a detailed estimate of their strength. The event is E.C.F. game fee registered and all players’ games will be graded.

I entered the tournament on this basis. I was then contacted by the organiser and told I was being moved to the open. I explained to him that I met the clearly stated entry requirements. He said he could see my point, but that it was the grader who had made, and will make the decision. The grader called me, each time I said that I met the stated requirements he simply ignored the point.

He said that my last rapid grade - 163 in 2015 - was the same as my standardplay in that year, which made my rapidplay grade the same as my current standardplay grade of 180, which is higher than the entry requirement of 171 ?!?!?! Regardless of the fact that according to their own regulation that Fide standardplay takes precedence over ecf rapid grades!

I pointed out that there were 2 players with 174 ecf grades accepted. Plus one player rated 190 - that he said he had 'missed'.

I would have happily played the open if ineligible for the major, but after this JOKE of a decision I withdrew. £30 cancellation fee for accomodation. Possibly £42 entry fee if not refunded. All because of an incompetent grader. Seriously pissed off.

Nick Burrows

Re: British Rapidplay Entry Requirements

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I should add that the section was open to players rated under 1976 Fide. My rating is 1937.

Joey Stewart

Re: British Rapidplay Entry Requirements

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Only one 190+ at that grading boundary surprises me - I would have expected multiple 200+ players in the 1900 range these days when you consider how broken the fide ratings are now.

Would have been better to just not use fide rapid at all (aside from rating calculation) and base it entirely on the more accurate ECF ratings.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.